Be careful out there...

Started by Bruce Dorsi, May 01, 2012, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Dorsi

"LITTLE ROCK — A New Jersey man was killed after a truck collided with his motorcycle on Interstate 40 eastbound, April 24th.

According to the Arkansas State Police, Charles D. Dziedzic, 59, of Morristown, N.J., died when he and two other riders on different motorcycles, George J. Falzarano, 64, and Robert Falzarano, 58, both of Stirling, N.J., were hit by James T. Hearon, 44, driving a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe near the 173.5 mile-marker.

According to the report, Hearon failed to yield to the slowing traffic in front of him and hit all three motorcycles, all Harley-Davidson bikes. Hearon's vehicle overturned after impact.

Hearon and George Falzarano were transported to University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences for treatment, while Robert Falzarano was sent to Baptist Medical Center.

All three motorcyclists were wearing helmets, according to the police report."

.......................I grew up with the two survivors, and routinely see them around our hometown.  .... They have serious injuries and are not yet stable enough to return to New Jersey.

Ironically, Bob (Robert) was a police officer (and later, police chief) for 27 years.  ....He has taken much ribbing over the years because he would not drive over the speed limit.  ....He always felt it would be hypocritical to issue someone else a summons if he was guilty himself.

Traffic was stopped on I-40 due to a minivan on fire in the left lane.  ....The 3 motorcyles were stopped when they were nailed from behind.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

purplepickup

Real sorry to hear about your friends Bruce.  Distracted drivers scare the heck out of me when I'm riding my bike.  I was hit from behind (40mph) while waiting for a stop light behind a line of cars 30 years ago. I only broke a few bones but the girl riding with me is still paralyzed.  I watch my mirrors now and try to leave myself an escape path when stopped in traffic.
George

jaybee

Bruce, all affected by this are in my thoughts and prayers.

Yes, please be careful out there. A good friend of mine is in ICU after a head on collision in UT, story here;  http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/local/Accident-on-Highway-8991-fatal-149426535.html

That's his yellow Cobalt in the foreground of the picture. He's a former amateur road racer and autocrosser who can flat handle a car. He was just minding his own business on the way to work in the morning when a car crossed out of the oncoming lanes to hit him head on. It appears that he probably saved his life by attempting to get left of the oncoming Protege at the last second, moving impact from the left front corner of the car to the right front.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)