A trailer/towing question

Started by RAJ484, April 06, 2012, 07:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAJ484

We bought a 20 ft, 8 1/2 wide enclosed trailer for our 38 Master Deluxe.the car is 14 1/2 ft long. I'm using a 2003 Toyota Tundra TRD 4x4 V8 to tow with. Curb weight on the trailer is 3160. Weight of the car is no more than 3000. I'm putting the car pretty close to center ( front to back ) in the trailer. When I hook up the trailer to the truck, I get a bit of dive with the front of the trailer and the rear of the truck. I am considering a weight distribution hitch ( anywhere from $130 to $300+ ) OR I just thought of this today..if I load the car further toward the back of the trailer, will this "fix" the dive problem and make the trailer and truck stable enough to not have issues with sway?? Any advice will be helpful! Thanks
It drove into my garage...it DID drive back out!!!

enjenjo

It may fix the dive problem, but it will give you a sway problem. With the trailer weight you have, and the car weight you have, you want at least 600 lbs on the hitch, more will be better. I would spring for the equaliser hitch, and sway bars. That will control both.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Don't monkey around! Get a weight distributing hitch. Even with that if you take too much weight off the hitch you'll have sway problems
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

RAJ484

Thanks guys,..that's why I come here. Expert answers from good people.
It drove into my garage...it DID drive back out!!!

parklane

Do as already been said. You need to go for only one ride with not enough tongue weight. After you change your underwear, tell us how you liked it.  :shock:  :shock:
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??