bleeding S-10 prop valve.

Started by moose, March 24, 2012, 07:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Gonna ask the Gurus a tech question.

I have a friend putting an S-10 chassis under a 1948 Willys Panel truck. He cannot get fluid to the back brakes. It seemsthe combo prop valve is not allowing fluid to the back circuit. How do we recenter it? I have tried to google for an answer but only seem to get replacement parts links.

I see in one link thet they sell a spool to hold the spool centered by removing the switch. But how do you recenter it if it is of?

Or do we just need to find a replacement?

Thanks

moose

enjenjo

They will usually recenter by cracking open the front brakes with pressure on the pedal. If not, the valve may be stuck by corrosion. You can take it apart and clean it up, replacing any O rings as needed. Or pick up another one at the salvage yard.

If you remove the switch, you can insert a pick in the hole, and recenter the valve by hand. Of it won't move easily, it's stuck.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I better put this in my file. I had to shorten my S10 (S15 GMC) frame four inches to get it under my Jeepster but there should be one of those things somewhere. GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

Moose,

I had a '79 Riviera for almost 200,000 miles and that combo valve tripped one way every time I opened up the brakes. I went in there with an awl and shuttled it back to center. Never had to replace it though. Can be a big pain for sure.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!