1952 truck doors continued...

Started by My52Chebby, March 10, 2012, 02:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

A while back I posted how I made escutcheon plates in stainless steel to clean up the hinges in my door jams (see quote below).

Some of you might be wondering how I found the locations where to drill the bolt holes for the hinge bolts. Well this is how I went about doing it:

Firstly, once the doors were adjusted, I pinned the hinges to the doors :

- One 1/8" drill bit through the door inner structure at each hinge leg.

- Then I pinned the hinges to the cab with 3/16" pins

- I welded the pins to the hinge itself from the front of the hinge
           letting the pins protrude about an 1/8th on the mating surface side of
           the hinge.

[/img]

- Using the pins meant that I didn't even have to bolt the hinges in
           place for them to be in the proper (registered) location and it left the
           front of the hinge flush.

- Then I placed clear packing tape over the bolt holes

- I could then clearly see the bolt locations through the clear tape that
           and marked the bolt locations on the clear tape with a black marker.

- I then placed white plastic tape on the back of the stainless
           escutcheons followed by clear double sided tape.

- Then I pushed the escutcheons/white tape/double side tape
           sandwich in location around the hinge leg.

- It was then a simple matter of pulling the hinge assembly off the
           cab, placing the whole assembly upside down in an open vice (that I
           had previously taped up so as not to damage the escutcheon
           surface). Looking from the back, I could clearly see the 'X' markings
           the bolt locations.

- Using an automatic punch I marked all the bolt locations then used a
           step drill to drill the bolt holes. A step drill is less apt to catch and ruin
           the thin escutcheon.

This is what the finished fit looks like... I'm pretty stoked.

What do you think?

My52Chebby
p.s.: Still need to sandblast the hinges, change the hinge pins and finish paint them.

Quote from:

Another thing that I just had to do was to replace the awful looking escutcheon plates that fit around the door hinge coming out of the door jamb on the cab. In this picture, you'll see the mangled existing plate, a cardboard template, a thick aluminum plate buck and the finished stainless steel plate I formed over the buck.

[img
http://images58.fotki.com/v85/photos/8/20008/9260696/P1090829-vi.jpg[/img]

I machined two bucks, one for the upper hinges and another for the lower. They're reversible so I could produce four plates with two bucks...

The plates still need final buffing but I'm really pleased with the progress so far...

My52Chebby

p.s.: Click on the link to check out my project albums : http://public.fotki.com/skylark/1952-chevy-pickup/

phat46

Nice work, they look great even unpolished!

nzsimon

I would consider using countersink bolts to make it even cleaner
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

river1

Quote from: "nzsimon"I would consider using countersink bolts to make it even cleaner

X2
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

My52Chebby

Quote from: "nzsimon"I would consider using countersink bolts to make it even cleaner

Sorry but countersunk bolts would not be feasible, the escutcheon plates are thin and the holes underneath them are oblong, some have even been badly hogged out of shape.

Those button head bolts came in a complete stainless steel bolt set specifically for the truck and match all other bolts on the truck so they won't look out of place.

Thanks guys...

My52Chebby

wayne petty

just an off the wall thought on the door hinges...

i would imagine you are planning on having them cleaned and then some sort of coating or plating...

i just wondered...   remember bronzed baby shoes... where they metal sprayed the actual shoes to cover them with a bronze coating...

i wonder... if that type of coating might work on those hinges.

or if they could spray other metals.. like nickel.. or stainless steel right from stainless welding wire..  to coat them...

might be quicker and cheeper than chroming..  and less chance of hydrogen embrittlement..  and be a different look than what is normally done..

here are some  links i just found...

http://www.metalizing.com/

http://www.thermioninc.com/

i am not saying to buy one of these.. only possibly to get your hinges done...

perhaps these links are different than the bronzed baby shoes idea..  but it's just a thought..

river1

Quote from: "My52Chebby"

Sorry but countersunk bolts would not be feasible, the escutcheon plates are thin and the holes underneath them are oblong, some have even been badly hogged out of shape.

Those button head bolts came in a complete stainless steel bolt set specifically for the truck and match all other bolts on the truck so they won't look out of place.

Thanks guys...

My52Chebby

makes sense, it still looks good. it adds a nice touch to the truck

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.