1999 ford 2.0l dohc variable timing

Started by 348tripower, February 24, 2012, 08:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Anybody familiar with these? I just put a head gasket on one. I timed it by the book but it has a rattle in the exhaust camshaft at idle. Put some rpm to it and it goes away.  I am wondering if it needs some preload on the exhaust pulley. No where does it mention that. Baffled again :(
Don
Don Colliau

wayne petty

edit   wait rattle in the exhaust..
i misread...   you must already have it together.. sorry..

is the monolith block in the cat loose??   where the mesh holding the block in the center has burned away and the exhaust pulses are hammering it ?? use a stethoscope.. or a broom handle to the ear to verify..

unless the head got surfaced too much and its detonating..

the Exhaust cam always tries to move unless you hold it with the tool at the back of the cam or between the sprockets..   that will throw off the cam timing on tooth..  on the exhaust ...

below is what i posted before i understood what you had actually posted..

i will just leave it for others..

if you have the valve cover off... stick some steel stock through the slots at the back end of the cams....  --(-)-------(-)--   this is the factory way to hold them straight...    add feeler gauges to make the bar stock fit tight to hold the cams perfectly straight...

the cam holding bar is under 25 bucks.. from OTC as i recall..  numbers to come after i post the  link

down on the front of the block is a location for a bolt to be removed.. and an alignment/ lock pin to  hold the crank.,..

check your PM in a few minutes i have a link.. i think will cover the installation factory style..

you can also take some carefully selected flat washers... and a long bolt and some kind of nut...

nut
___   washer
 |
 |
 |
___   washer
bolt

you can GENTLY position the washers between the cam sprockets.. while holding the cam in position..   then lightly tighten the nut..

the upper washer fits between the sprockets at 2 o clock on the left and 10 o clock on the right..

the lower washer fits between the sprockets at 4 o clock on the left and 8 o clock on the right..

this wedges the sprockets into a position where they cannot move..

please DO NOT USE THIS TO LOOSEN the or tighten the cam bolts...

you will find this does not work  when you have loosened the cam bolts as that model has NO woodruff keys... only the bolt tightness holds the sprocket to the cams... please get the torque on the bolt right.. holding the cams with a wrench as shown... you will twist the heck out of the cam if you try with just the alignment tool...

http://www.google.com/products?q=zetec+cam+tool&hl=en

Ford cam tool kit for 2.0L Zetec engines in Contour, Mystique, and Focus Contains tool number OTC6474 and OTC6475.

just the alignment bar is...
OTC FORD CAM ALIGN TOOL   Model# OTC6474
Works on 1994-2002 2.0L 4 cylinder DOHC Zetec, Contour, Mystique
Same as Ford 303-465

GPster

I wonder if Auto Zone or Advance has that in their loaner tools? Then again Enjenjo is getting a reputation for working on Mustangs, maybe he'll end up buying one. GPster

jaybee

Are you getting a code? It should if the exhaust cam timer isn't working properly. I found that out the hard way when I changed a timing belt without immobilizing the exhaust sprocket.

Your problem is a little different, but I can tell you the cam isn't preloaded to one side or the other. Had that been the case my task would've been much easier.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)