EMERGENCY BRAKE HANDLE

Started by vso737, February 11, 2012, 01:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vso737

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on what to use or how to HOOK UP my emergency cables to a brake handle.

I have 1940 Chevy Coupe with NO brake handle but do have brake cables all the way to, just below the firewall.  
Everything is in place to the firewall.  I need to figure out what type of brake mechanism to use and where to install it.
The rear end is a 1967 Nova and I have a 427CI motor with a 350 tranny.

I have bucket seats and a center console which make matters a little more challenging and suspect that this is the reason they were never hooked up by the previous owner.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated........................

Thank you in advance,
Mike
:roll:  :roll:
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

chimp koose

my 65 ford half ton has a pull handle at the bottom edge of the dash that pulls straight back. twist the handle and shove in to release. Brake cable comes in at the firewall.look in the wrecking yard at old ford trucks the design is real simple and you could whip up a custom handle pretty easily I would think.

unklian

Quote from: "chimp koose"my 65 ford half ton has a pull handle at the bottom edge of the dash that pulls straight back. twist the handle and shove in to release. Brake cable comes in at the firewall.look in the wrecking yard at old ford trucks the design is real simple and you could whip up a custom handle pretty easily I would think.

That sounds similar to the early Mustangs.

http://www.cal-mustang.com/EMERGENCY-BRAKE-HANDLE-ASSEMBLY-C880.aspx

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/products/1965-66-parking-brake-handle-assembly

enjenjo

I've used the Mustang handle, along with the Mustang front cable,  in 46 to 48 Chevys, not a whole lot of difference. You do have to modify the stock Chevy belcrank, under the trans mount, for more leverage.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

reborn55

I used the original brake handle with Lokar Cables in wife's 48 Chevy coupe.  Pretty good install once I looked at it for a while

UGLY OLDS

Mike ....
  I took some photos of the stock parking brake handle in my '40 Olds ..As I remember , your Chevy should be identical as the "Cheap Olds" & the Chev share the same body & cowl ....
Please excuse the "scrambled " wiring ....

I will have our good buddy Frank fix them up so's they can be viewed here as he is a magician when it comes to posting photos ....  I on the other hand ..... :oops:

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

reborn55

here are pictures of stock 46-48 e-brake handle

enjenjo

I posted Bob's pictures. You can find the same handle with a different bracket in a 6o to 66 Chevy pickup, already set up for a cable.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"I posted Bob's pictures. You can find the same handle with a different bracket in a 6o to 66 Chevy pickup, already set up for a cable.

Thanks for the help with the photos ..... :D

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****