Battery Cables

Started by midnight sun, February 13, 2012, 07:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

What gauge cable is recommended for battery cables running from trunk to starter and ground?  Im thinking 1 or 2.

Thanks
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Glen

I ran one gauge on the Nova, it doesnt have a lot of compression.  A nice high quality starter and a good ground will reduce drag too.

Rrumbler

Many of the "kits" on the market today have #1 for the positive, about fifteen or so feet, and a short piece for the negative to ground off on the frame.

My own idea would be that #1 is a minimum for a car with only the "normal" loads in it; if there is a high powered sound system, or a bunch of extra lights and/or a winch on a truck or a trailer, I would go for 1/0 or bigger.  I would also run both the pos. and neg. all the way to the front to a pretty hefty terminal block on each leg, and bond the negative to the frame at both ends and a couple of spots in between.

Overkill?  Maybe so, maybe not.  :wink:  :)
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

midnight sun

Okay thanks for the tips guys.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Topsterguy

Most say to use 1 and also rather than run to the frame  run the ground right up to a starter bolt, at least this is what Ron Francis strongly emphasizes. Pretty much what rumbler said.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"