S/W fuel gauge problems

Started by Topsterguy, February 15, 2012, 04:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I have older S/W gauges in the 32 and the gas gauge seems to have gone south for no reason! Ign off the needle sits at 1/4 tank ( with almost full tank) then with ign on it drops below E. Tested between the ign term and the sender term on the gauge and nothing. ( used a test light and there's no light at all)  Measured the ohms on the wire from the sender  and with the tank a little over 1/2 it read 58 and with the tank full it read 35. Tried a new gauge  with a range of  10 is full and 73 is empty because of the readings I got and it only goes up to between 1/2 and 3/4 with the tank pretty much full. Arrrrggg!!!!  Tried calling SW and couldn't get anyone, just machines!  Any ideas!!??
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

phat rat

Sounds as though you haven't tested the sending unit. I'd do that.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

DRD57

I've got a similar problem on my Model A with two tanks. The problem only exists when its switched to the right tank so, I know its the sender and not the gauge. Too big of a PITA to change so I just run that tank empty first.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "phat rat"Sounds as though you haven't tested the sending unit. I'd do that.

I tested the sender and it read 58 ohms  with about 3/4 tank of gas, then I topped it off and it read 35ohms, so it would seem that the senders working. There's nothing between the 12v terminal on the gauge and the sender terminal and there should be a small amount of current so that to me indicates the gauge. I finally talked to the tech guy at SW and he said I need the standard 33-240 ohm gauge not the 10-73.....so I ordered one.

Once again, thanks for the help guys!    Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"