AD truck frame

Started by WZ JUNK, January 07, 2012, 08:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Is there a difference between a 1948 Chevrolet half ton truck frame and a 1948 GMC half ton truck frame?

I bet Frank knows.  I do not.  My buddy Colorado Bill, or you may know him as Bonneville Bill, needs to know.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I can't give a definitive answer. The Hollander lists them seperate, but it may be something small like motor mount holes. Springs, shackles, kingpins, ect. are all the same. I believe they are for the most part the same. There are differences in the cabs, but not in the cab mounts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

A few years back when my son had a "collection" of parts for these trucks, (Actually about 5 dissembled trucks of various years) , I remember there possibly being  a rather large difference in the front crossmember area ....Something about the core supports not interchanging from Chev to GMC thru the 48-53 run ..  It was quite an issue for him at the time ...
Caused him to "bail" on the project of building  one truck from the pile of parts ..... :roll:  :roll:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

junkyardjeff

The GMC motors are a little longer then the Chevys so if there is a difference it will be on the front cross member where the core support and front motor mount attach.

50jimmy

I will second junkyardjeff's opinion.  As far as I know, no difference except the front crossmember

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"The GMC motors are a little longer then the Chevys so if there is a difference it will be on the front cross member where the core support and front motor mount attach.