Emergency brake cables

Started by reborn55, January 13, 2012, 05:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Got the Nova rear end put in wife's coupe. Now it is time for emergency brake cables as the S-10 had no cables for emergency brake. Have the Lokar universal cable hooked to the rear shoes and am getting ready to install cable to original handle. Any tips/ideas through any one experiences as to where to run and mount brackets for the cables. Any diagrams/pictures anywhere available thanks

enjenjo

Originally on a 48 Chevy there was a rod from the handle to a bellcrank on the frame, to a second rod to a second bellcrank on the trans crossmember where the rear cables hooked. With a V8 ans auto trans there is no room for all these linkages. So what I have done in the past, is use a front cable from a 65 Mustang, adapted to the handle, and fabricate a new bellcrank on the left side of the frame to regain the mechanical advantage.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

thanks Frank   I have both Lokar cables---one from the handle--made for the 48 and the universal from the Nova rear.   Will crawl under it tomorrow and see what it looks like.

reborn55

Frank---did you run the rear cable through the factory brackets for the cables or route them somewhere else
Thanks

enjenjo

I made my own brackets. I brought the right cable to  the left side, and ran them both along the left frame rail.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I made my own brackets. I brought the right cable to  the left side, and ran them both along the left frame rail.
It's a shame that the S10 rear end didn't have cables. That's the way they run them. The S10s seem to be hard on cables. The S10 I stripped for the frame for my Jeepster had shot cables. The S10 Blazer that I got the 4x4 rear end out of for the additional width had defunct cables too and it was 5 years newer. Of course with the foot set hardware they don't seem to need levers for that mechanical advantage that you need to set the brakes by hand. GPster

reborn55

Think I got it figured out--used an existing bracket on the frame for rear cable bracket.  Using a piece of flat stock bolted to the frame similar to the factory bracket for the handle cable.  in reading the instructions it says I can cut the rear cables but nothing about doing the same fro the front cable--need to cut about 9 inches off the cable---will thsi be a problem--thanks

The S-10 never had and cables on it when I bought the car.  Figured I may as well install the brake on the Nova rear.

Have a great day

enjenjo

as long as it will still work, I don't see a problem.