Rislone product with ZDDP

Started by Mac, November 14, 2011, 05:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Who remembers when commercials talked about the new, wonderful chemical that made their product better than the competition?
Like Colgate toothpaste with Guard-all and Rolaids with aluminum chlorhydrate.
Anyway, our flat tappet engines aren't getting enough zinc in their diets lately so the new Rislone is another alternative to Brad Penn Oil and the GM additive.
I have heard Enjenjo speak favorably about regular Rislone and I have often run it in the last few hunded miles before an oil change as a motor flush. I think I'll be giving it a try. It goes for 11 1/2 bucks a jug in the local box store.
Who\'s yer Data?

Bruce Dorsi

ZDDP is also an ingredient in STP Oil Treatment.

Unfortunately, with most any product containing ZDDP, there is no mention of the amount of ZDDP in the product.

That makes it very difficult to judge the potential effectiveness of the product.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Beck

I'm told the ZDDP concentrations in oil is listed on the manufacturers web site. I don't know about the STP information.

The company I work for is a major manufacturer of ZDDP. We ship to the motor oil companies in RR cars, tank trucks, and 55 gal drums. Since the oil formulation changes required by Uncle Sam I have been looking for the right formula for mixing our pure ZDDP additive and the "new" motor oils. This summer all the pieces came together. While conversing with a chemist from our plant who is a car guy he answered all my questions. He had done all the research and calculations already. 1 oz of our additive is the perfect mix for a 5 qt oil change. The ZDDP products I see on the market are bigger volume so I expect they are diluting with oil.

There is a "sweet spot" for ZDDP concentration. Adding to much is as bad as not having enough. Too much will definitely cause wear in the engine!

I have considered starting a little business selling ZDDP but I would need to buy a 55 gal drum ($$$$) and a LOT of 1 oz containers. Then I would have to repackage the 55 gal to 1 oz sizing, label it, and figure out a shipping method. I'm sure this would break some kind of law too. It may be a good swap meet item since shipping would be eliminated. Most guys at the swap would consider it "snake oil" and shy away I believe. As the roller cam motors completely take over the need for the ZDDP additive will go away, so it would be a diminishing return business.

Hooley

OH NO, a day late and a dollar short.

I buy I buy a 4oz bottel that is marked by Howard Cams under the name of "MAX ZPM"  You add 4oz to 5 to 6 qt's of oil.  Ingredients: ZDDP

I buy it from Comptetion Products   1-800-233-0199

Later
Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

Beck

Quote from: "Hooley"OH NO, a day late and a dollar short.

I buy I buy a 4oz bottel that is marked by Howard Cams under the name of "MAX ZPM"  You add 4oz to 5 to 6 qt's of oil.  Ingredients: ZDDP

I buy it from Comptetion Products   1-800-233-0199

Later
Hooley

I'm sure it is the same thing. Like I said before it just has some oil with it. There is still 1 oz of additive mixed with 3 oz of oil. It makes it look like you are getting more.

I bought some things from them too. Good pricing for the parts I needed.