Differential width guidelines

Started by taxpyer, October 20, 2011, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxpyer

Just thought I'd put this out there and see what comes of it,,,,,,,,,,, :wink:  
Is there a rule of thumb used to choose the correct width of differential housing for your project? Is there a basic clearance between backing plate and frame/body that is most desirable? Is it best to get your wheels and tires before hand to determine clearances? :roll:
I got a feeling it's a "that otta work" kind of choice but I was wondering if the "builders" out there use some sort of guidelines. :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

river1

that is basically the same question i ask as my first question on the RRT in 1997(?).

the answer i got back then was to find your wheels first.

the first responder was "tomslik" offering up his rear end :oops:  

i knew then i was in the right place 8)

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

I thought it was in Tech on this site but you can find it here                       www.enjenjo.com/tech.html   I don't know how to make it red) also I think that carnut has a listing on his site. GPster

enjenjo

What he said. Get the wheels and tires you want to use. Set them up for clearance to the body, at least one inch, more is better, and measure between the wheel mounting faces to find the rear end length you need.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Yep, wheels and tires you want to use, then check for the wheelwell clearance you prefer, then measure inside to inside on wheels.

taxpyer

Thanks guys I sort of knew that but it is always nice to have the "pro's" confirm it. :wink:  
Thanks so much 8)
When I get closer to doing the diff. I will post some pics of my project in process.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later