Storing liquids in Washer Fluid jugs...GRRR.

Started by Arnold, October 12, 2011, 11:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Don't know if they are the same everywhere?..but here in Toronto..the ones I have..those things have a half life/shelf life. Does not seem to matter where/how they are stored. I have collected/kept a pile of them to dispose of old oil,af., etc. I thought it a bit odd when I picked up a half jug of washer fluid that was a few years old..and the bottom sort of came out of it. Then one did it that had oil in it..(nice mess) and another with regular af in it. I decided to take a good look at the others I had kept. Many had hair line cracks..some spidering just getting ready to let go. lol..some actually leaked! I don't know if they are designed to break down?? I do know that green garbage bags  break down..they just plain rot. Maybe these things are designed that way too. I dunno. Lesson learned for me.

enjenjo

Yes, they are made to break down. I use antifreeze jugs, they last longer. I also buy oil in gallons for reuse. Make sure you remark the jugs so you know what is in them. One time someone did me a favor, and topped up the master cylinder on my truck. They filled it with Gunk degreaser  :shock: I had to rebuild the whole brake system. A brake fluid can had been refilled with degreaser, and had not been remarked.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tom36

Two teenage boys are lucky to be alive here.  3 weeks ago they were in a neighbors barn and drank anti freeze from a whiskey bottle that was unmarked as to the contents.  They were airlifted to Boston in critical condition .  Last I heard they were now home but their livers have to be monitored for some time.  Lucky kids...   Tom...