Potential Tow Vehicle questions

Started by 1800guy, September 30, 2011, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1800guy

My buddy and I are sort of looking at a possible tow car, but neither one of us knows much about MoPar drivetrains.  Late 60's Fury II - is the 727 a strong and reliable tranny?  Is the 426 reasonable to maintain and does it have any bad habits?  Towing a 600 lb trailer and a 2,200 lb car, is there any chance of decent gas mileage?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Carnut

Dunno about your situation, but there's a heck of a lot of Motorhomes running around with similar drivetrains, mostly using the 440 version of the Mopar Big Block.

wayne petty

things to do to make is a real tow car...

these are just things that i would do.... and that i have done to other mopars ..

conversion to electronic ignition...

conversion to electronic voltage regulator..  the existing alternator can be modified with a different set of brushes and insulators..

making sure the radiator is NOT clogged...   1/4 inch hardware cloth across the front of the radiator..  if it does not have an A/C condenser in front blocking rocks kicked up...

depending on the year.. if it has drum brakes all the way around.. 68s had 4 piston disc brakes..   69 or 70 went to single piston discs.. so you can retrofit later spindles and discs to make it stop...

Magnets in the fuel tank...  in the bottom.. keeps all the Red dUST trapped in the tank.. not in the fuel system...

fuel filters just before the fuel pump...

you will also want to service the transmission..

you might want to move ONE amp meter wire on top of the other..

adding an additional wire from the alternator output directly to the battery...

usually from the starter relay on the firewall big stud to the starter motor...

these shorten the path the charging system has to go..  you will want a volt meter of some kind... even one that plugs into the cigar lighter socket..  so you can keep track of the charging system..

if you install a larger amp alternator .. you will probably want to bypass the amp meter like above.. so it does not burn out half way across the country..

changing the turn signal flasher and hazard flasher to #552..    they might be that already..

i had a friend..   rigged his mopar wagon for hauling and towing..  he dropped a 3/4 ton dana 60 under it from a dodge van..  the massive 12 inch brakes with that would also stop the wagon when it was filled with engine parts..  it was a little much for most people.. but he really hauled with his wagon..

3000 pounds is a little large on that...

but if you have disc brakes.. and the best brake pads you can get on the front .. all new brakes on the back..   careful use of a bathroom scale to keep the tongue weight under control so you don't burn out the rear axle bearings..  or lift the front end off the ground..

by the time you do all this.. you might have been better off finding a 3/4 ton van  on craigs list..   i got a friend a 90 dodge B350 /360 cid fuel injected van for 500 bucks..  there were lots of deals like that..  but then this is LA..

1800guy

Thanks for all the tips, esp. by-passing the Amp gauge - I'd sort of forgotten that one.   Well, I jumped in the deep end of the pool and bought it - buddy passed on going in on it.  Aside from a bunch of pick-ups, this is my first domestic since 1965 - might be an interesting learning curve.  It turns out the engine is actually a 400 bored 30 over, hence 406.  I probably should have asked more questions, but it sounded good and felt right - we'll see.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

wayne petty

one last thing....

you might.. really want to look into  heavier duty tires just for the back...

something close to the proper size.. in a load range D... just for when you are going to haul the trailer..  even if you have to go to a 16 or 17 inch steel wheel with lower profile SUV style tires..  as long as you can find them in load range D..

transmission temp indicator/gauge..    the fluid return as i recall .. dumps directly into the sprag... to cool and lube it as its running in reverse... overrunning actually..  dragging all the way around..  creating heat..

there is also a BOLT IN SPRAG .. that might be a good idea... if you go through the transmission..  

just to steer you straight..

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/viewall.html