SBF waterpump

Started by mrloboy, September 20, 2011, 08:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

Working on a 30 Essex 3-window with a 351 Windsor and a  5speed for a friend. He would like a little more clearance for the engine to radiator. Are there any waterpumps available that are shorter than the conventional windsor pumps? The chassis is already built and the engine is mounted, but clearance on the radiator is tight. I remember seeing an article in Street Rodder, I believe, many years ago that showed a shorter pump. I can't find the article! Help! Rick

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

Thanks Frank. Looks like a 1.5" savings on space. Pretty significant! That should do the trick. Is this similar to an early 289 application? I have spent all my life with SBC engines and have little knowledge on the Ford Brethren.

enjenjo

QuoteIs this similar to an early 289 application?

No idea, I am not much of a Ford guy either. I have used the short pump, they make two, the one I posted, and another for a serpentine belt.

You may have to get creative with pulleys, I have no idea which ones will work. In my case I used pulleys from several makes, to gain as much room as possible.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

V8 explorers have a short water pump.

kb426

The explorer front cover and balancer are different also. That is the shortest setup for that series engine. The front covers for the rest of the pump are different where the pump is. One pump has a rear cover and the other has an exposed impeller and the front cover is the back of the pump. The explorer balancer is 50 oz. also.
TEAM SMART

Harry

Do some of the front covers also have the dipstick there?
I think the serpentine pump runs backwards.

chimp koose

I seem to remember an article in street rodder from the mid 70's where they used a pump placed low on the right side of the engine that shortened things up a lot.would have been an article from 77/78 or so. They used a pump from some dodge I think.My old street rodders are in a tupperware bin in the attic so I would not be able to look that one up,pretty sure on the year of the article though.

mrloboy

I'll have to dig through my boxes of magazines. I am sure I have all the street rodders from the mid seventies and up. Could be a long night!

wayne petty

there is this ultimate solution...

http://forums.dragcoverage.com/attachment.php?s=86e70c286acf055a39289f5f7aaf4def&attachmentid=16956&stc=1&d=1277689329

i wonder how one would seal that to the timing cover.. ????

this is the later model 5.0 explorer timing cover..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/635-106/image/4/

but it looks like its reverse rotation..  but.. you might be able to tap and drill the top of the water passages... so you can put hose barbs or hose fittings in.. then block off the front with the conventional bolts and a plate...

next question....  do you have a vertical mill.. so you could create your own...  using something like a transverse 3.1 chevy timing cover as sort of a template???  where they have a remote pump and passages for each side...

how short do you really need????

you could talk to the water pump rebuilders.. i know where a water pump rebuilder parts supplier is here in los angeles.. so bearings and impellers for various pumps are available.. you could create your own short pump using various short water pump components..  

i will forward the address on a PM...

you could also....   create a housing to bolt to the ford timing cover with right angle outlets for hoses to run up and over the top...   it would need to be over an inch thick..  and you might want to fill the center of the timing cover opening with epoxy..  with removable plugs to keep the coolant passages open..