V-bent Windshield

Started by RAJ484, September 09, 2011, 07:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAJ484

Guys, need some information. I had a glass guy install a V-bent windshield into a 1938 Chevy. Windshield and rubber molding came from Chevys of the 40's. According to the glass guy, I wasn't there for the whole install, he had to take it back to his shop a couple times to grind/sand the edge a bit to get it to fit. He gets it in and then OVER NIGHT, the glass cracks right in the center from bottom to top. Have any of you had any experience installing this type of windshield and do you know of any tricks or tips before I have it tried again?

It drove into my garage...it DID drive back out!!!

unklian

It can crack like that if it is installed way too tight.

RAJ484

Quote from: "unklian"It can crack like that if it is installed way too tight.
Too tight??  What would make it too tight? And how could it be installed "looser"?
It drove into my garage...it DID drive back out!!!

Okiedokie

When I installed the Vbutted windshield in my 40 I was very carfull to tape cardboard to each side so they could not touch. Once I had it in I removed the cardboard and taped edges to apply sealant. Once the sealant dried I removed the tape and found a chip in one edge. I have no idea how that happened, but it did. It sound like your glass may have been to wide to start with and maybe the sanding he did weakened that piece??????????

WZ JUNK

I bought a windshield rubber for my 54 Chevy from Chevs the 40s.  It was the incorrect piece for my car or manufactured wrong.  The channel where the glass lays was not deep enough.  Once you had the rubber seal on the windshield you could not get the glass installed.  I sent it back and bought one from Steele and the new one was about a quarter of an inch deeper all the way around.   Both seals where the same shape but the one from Steele was the correct size.  With the new seal the windshield went in correctly.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH