Turn Signal Switch

Started by enjenjo, September 08, 2011, 08:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterR

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a switch. It's an old self canceling add on, Cole Hersee brand. It has four wires, flasher, left turn, right turn, and pilot lamp. I know about the Del City convertor box, but wondered if there was a simple way to do it.

If as I suspect it is the type with the pilot light in the end of the lever, it would normally use a three pin flasher can wired as below.

You could use a modified version of this to drive the combined stop/flasher lamps at the rear using the layout below.

When the turn signal is off, the brake lights are connected through the normally closed relay contact. When the turn signal is flashing, the diodes and capacitor keep the relay coil energised through the off part of the cycle; this isolates the feed from the brake light switch and connects the stop lamp to the flash can via the turn switch.

The layout below is a variant of Waynes, using two flasher cans to avoid the use of the components to keep the relay coil energised through the flasher off cycle.  The two diodes are to provide the pilot signal for the turn lever pilot light. They would not be required where dashboard lamps were used.

enjenjo

Here's a diagram WzJunk sent me. It's for one side, the other side would be a duplicate.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

I have the turn signals wired, it works on the bench, so we'll see. I used some of the ideas posted here, and added a couple of my own.

I decided to use a convertor box for the stop lights, it cost under $20 and was the most cost effective for my customer. Once that was out of the picture, it made things a bit easier. I had a couple other problems to solve, the customer wanted hazard flashers if I could figure out how, and the fuse block was wired with a two prong flasher, and it would have taken some modification.The third prong on the flasher is used to operate the indicator light, nothing else, so I tapped into the light circuit on both sides with a wire to the indicator lamp, and installed a rectifier diode in each one so it would not back feed. For the hazard lights, I ran both sides from the turn signal switch to a Double pole, single throw toggle switch, with the hazard flasher connected to the other terminal on both circuits. Flip on the toggle switch, and all four lights blink. The front turn signals tap off the rear circuit before the convertor box, and the stop light wire connects at the convertor box. It would have been easier if he was not firm on using this turn signal switch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.