GM AWD mini vans(used)

Started by Arnold, August 30, 2011, 11:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Sheesh..I dunno about buying one of those things! I sort of always thought..(prejudiced) ((I knew NOTHING about them)) that they were junk!

I am sortta looking for something newer..a 4wd..a van would be nice!

The place that looks after my 2 old vehicles (shame on my for being too busy) are GREAT!! and treat me and my vehicles REALLY GREAT! This garage is a man's man type of garage! With HUGE!! knowledge of especially older vehicles.

I talked to the owner about getting something else and he went on a rant about what NOT to buy..and if I bought x..or y..DO NOT! even bring it to them for service..then he said what about a Chevy Uplander extended version with awd. I thought he was on glue..then he went on to say how GREAT! those things are! The extended versions with awd. He said they had..and had quite a few very,very satisfied owners over the years with those things. I did a quick search and they seem to be "soccer mom" low kilometre no problems and too cheap?? vehicles in great shape.As well..I have talked to several owners who love them.

What years did those V6's have the head/intake gasket issues?

I dunno..any thoughts/knowledge on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as usual..

Arnold..

Harry

I think the early '90's had the head problem.
Similar to Ford 3.8 V6.

Fat Cat

The Uplander is basically the replacement for the Chevy Venture. I have a clone in the Olds Silohoutte. I recently cranked 122,000 miles on it and have replaced front brakes twice, rear brakes once, rear shocks at 121,000 miles, and had to replace one head at 97,000 miles. I am very happy with my vehicle and both the wife and I prefer to drive it over our newer car just because it is a pleasure to drive. If the vehicle is properly maintained and the coolant is at least changed every 4 years it will be of little problem to you. Most of the problems that GM had with that setup was they claimed that Dexcool was a lifetime coolant. The problem with that is that it is as long as the lifetime is less than 5 years. I converted m dexcool vehicles at 4 years to green coolant and have had no problems with dexcool or the conversion.

When we bought a replacement car for the wife a few years ago we almost replaced the Olds with an Uplander. The reason we did not was because for anything with low enough miles to make it worth the effort I was paying almost as much as I did for the hyundai which had a 100,000 mile warranty.

Arnold

THANK YOU! very much..Much appreciated as usual!

Arnold..