rebuilt motor sitting since 61

Started by junkyardjeff, August 19, 2011, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I am looking at a 57 292 Y block that was rebuilt for a show car in 61 and never installed for my 55 sunliner,its not stuck and turns over but what would I have to do before dropping in and firing up.  I am thinking it might be cheaper to rebuild the never touched 292 I have instead of spending some money to buy the motor and having to go through it,I know the motor would need all new seals but could the bearings and rings be reused or will it need to be gone completely over again.

unklian

Bare minimum, I would not count on the assembly lube
still being in place, so it needs to be torn down completely.

enjenjo

Baring rust, the rings and bearings should be fine. I would do a thorough clean up, relube, and for sure change the valve springs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i too would think that a proper inspection of the engine.. pull the pan and the valve covers...  inspect the cylinder walls from the bottom... inspect the oil pump....  and or prime the engine with the pan off... a bucket of oil hanging on the pick up.  so you can see how much leakage there is from the cam. rod and main bearings...

i have always hated the skinny H beam rods in Y block motors.. when i worked at the engine rebuilder.. they just kept coming in with snapped rods.. rrright in the middle.. the rod end then puncturing the block and usually snapping the cam...   several people wondered why the engine cranked.. but the distributer did not move..

how much are a set of forged or billet after market rods.. and rebalancing..

either that.. or take the spark plugs out..  spin the motor over with the starter until the oil pressure comes up....

check the compression..  set the timing.. stick the spark plugs in and fire it up..

any rust on the valve springs will usually result in failure.. dropped valves.. expensive re repairs..

just my opinion..

Rrumbler

Were you me - or somesuch thing - it would depend on how much the '61 rebuilt cost, first and foremost; but even if I picked it up for a song, I'd be inclined to at least open it up and give it a good look-see, check soft plugs, replace gaskets, and so forth.  In truth, though, I'd probably build the one I already have, that way it would be done to my satisfaction, with newer parts and technology; I always wonder about something I buy that I have had no input in; I like to work with a machine shop, and assemble stuff myself.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

tomslik

i'd pre-lube it and fire it up!

it still turns so it's not too rusty, and it's never been fired up so don't lube the cylinder walls beforehand.
only thing i'd worry about is lubing the cam.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

make sure you add some of that break in oil or additive for the cam shaft.

in my flat tappet engines, i use diesel engine oils and addditive too
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mac

Quote from: "tomslik"i'd pre-lube it and fire it up!

it still turns so it's not too rusty, and it's never been fired up so don't lube the cylinder walls beforehand.

So, you think lubing the cyl walls would keep the rings from seating?
Who\'s yer Data?

Flipper

Quote from: "Mac"

I've never put a motor together dry.  I'd tear it down and inspect it.  The seals/gaskets are probably all shot anyways.

tomslik

Quote from: "Mac"

yes, dry as a popcorn fawt.
that's the current thinking anyway.
i USED to dip the whole piston/rings in a coffee can of oil,
now, nothing...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

junkyardjeff

No one knows what was done to the motor and what cam has been installed,since it has a 3 2 bbl intake and carbs along with a 3 speed trans it might have too much of a cam for what I want to do (automatic trans).  I wont be able to get it for a song so I am leaning towards going through the untouched 292 I have that was pulled from a wrecked car over 40 years ago,the seller is wanting 900 for it complete and I am trying to see how much less intake,3 speed/clutch parts and dual points distributor since I will be going with a 4 bbl automatic trans and electronic ignition.

unklian

900 bucks for a complete rebuilt 292 with speed goodies ?

Sounds like a steal to me.

Old Blue

Quote from: "unklian"900 bucks for a complete rebuilt 292 with speed goodies ?

Sounds like a steal to me.

I am leaning towards going through the untouched 292 I have that was pulled from a wrecked car over 40 years ago,the seller is wanting 900 for it complete

Now that does not sound like a complete rebuilt 292 with speed goodies to me.   :lol: