700 R-4 problems

Started by BFS57, August 17, 2011, 09:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Took my Vicky back to Ken's Performance to get some of the repairs done, re done! Part of the repair list was that the trans was leaking. When they took the pan off, they found "trash" in it. and today, they informed me that I needed to replace the case on the trans as "someone" had used extreme force to remove the shift shaft, mangling the trans case in the process! They said that they can rebuild the trans with another case to fix the problem. I'm of the belief that another trans should be put in it's place.
Anyone got any "words of Wisdom" here to save me some dollars??

Bruce

Okiedokie

A friend recently had problems with his T350 in his 69 El Camino. Took it to a local "reputable' rod shop where they informed him the case was damaged and needed replacing. So for $1000 he got a [in my opinion] a $650 replacement trans. He is a disabled guy who can't do any repairs himself, and, unfortunatly did not want to burden any of us because he thought it was too big of a problem to ask for our help. I would make sure of pricing before authorizing any $'s.

GPster

Quote from: "Okiedokie"A friend recently had problems with his T350 in his 69 El Camino. Took it to a local "reputable' rod shop where they informed him the case was damaged and needed replacing. So for $1000 he got a [in my opinion] a $650 replacement trans. He is a disabled guy who can't do any repairs himself, and, unfortunatly did not want to burden any of us because he thought it was too big of a problem to ask for our help. I would make sure of pricing before authorizing any $'s.
With the trpuble you've had with starters on your '57 and you having to do the fix on your Vickey after it got done by him maybe you need to find someone that will test drive it further than off the lift. GPster

BFS57

Hello;
I am just trying to see if I can save some $ and get the trans to stop leaking. I will agree that someone should have told me that the case on my transmission was NFG! I plan on taking it to another trans shop, not too near that has a really good reputation for trans' in hot rods. They told me that they could have a cure without the case being replaced.
I looked at cases today and found a few listed anywhere from $60-$250.
I really think that the darn starter issues on my 57 were because the "brace" was not on the starter. Ever since they added that, it has started really quite nicely!
I'm hoping Crosley might have a few words of wisdom here for me on the trans case problem.

Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

I do not have internet access during the work day.

this all depends on what is ''mangled'' on the case if the shift shaft is the leaking spot.  If the area the seal installs into is messed up, you may be screw'd.

Not un- common for the rust belt to have corrosion in the seal area of the shift shaft and this can create troubles for seal removal and install.  Shafts are very available new.

Changing the case sounds so easy... find another case and swap parts.  You better have the correct year case for what you are replacing.  There are some differences, not huge differences and they will cause problems.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

BFS57

Hello;
When I looked on the net at replacement cases, I did see about 8 (I believe) different cases!
As nobody would know better (more economical), Would it be better to swap transmissions or buy a case and have the shop swap the parts. I still have an issue with the "trash" in the pan which is telling me that it needs a rebuild or replacement down the road (not too far in the future) from what I heard from the trans guy at the shop where I have the car.

Bruce