Wire terminal block size

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 16, 2011, 08:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I bought a needed terminal strip at Radio shack for a quick project.

I had forgotten that the strip design is such that I have to narrow the wire spade connector slightly  to fit between the little dividers.

Is this the standard design / width?  Or would terminal Blocks from Delcity or similar place be larger?

see photo
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

crdnblu

The narrow terminal spacing seems to be the norm these days; I've had similar experiences.  Here's the Ron Francis offered solution, although I would guess that other suppliers have similar products:

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ST-56

enjenjo

here is a similar terminal from Del City pn 660245
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

radio shack sells 3 sizes of these...

http://img.components-electronic.com/1134197615279312225_s/12_position_european_style_terminal_strip_connector.jpg

other stores have more sizes... depending upon where you shop at..

cut to length .. strip back 1/4" .. insert.. tighten the flat bladed type set screw...  wire gripped tight..    easy to change at later dates...

i use the 10 gauge versions for attaching new fusible link to catering truck starter motors.. on a short  conventional wire pig tail so i don't have to drop the starter to get at the ring terminal..  just go in with a new section and a screw driver...

usually these fit most of the narrow width screw type terminal blocks..

50 for 3 bucks..  in red for 18 gauge wire..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/9106/6-SPADE-TERMINAL-RED/1.html

here is the same in blue

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/9206/6-SPADE-TERMINAL-BLUE/1.html

both of the above fit #6 screws.. they also have them for #8 screws...

Crosley.In.AZ

I found some of the narrow terminals here at the house.  I would  prefer to use the wide units, oh well.

8)
Tony

wayne petty

i looked around...

seems some of the dual-row barrier strips have  0.563" (14mm) centers

others dual-row barrier strips have  0.375" (9.5mm) centers.

PeterR

Quote from: "Crosley"I bought a needed terminal strip at Radio shack for a quick project.

I had forgotten that the strip design is such that I have to narrow the wire spade connector slightly  to fit between the little dividers.

Is this the standard design / width?  Or would terminal Blocks from Delcity or similar place be larger?

see photo

There used to be a barrier strip with a pitch of about 1/2" which would take a full circle terminal.  They seemed to have disappeared from sale leaving only the smaller 3/8" pitch.

Crosley.In.AZ

bought some terminal type  strips from DelCity

see photo for compar-O  .  Del City strip is much larger will fit the terminal ends easy
Tony

Skip

Forked terminals come in various sizes, the most common being #6, #8 & #10 screw size.  Terminal blocks usually have #8 or #10 screws.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Rrumbler

Well, Tony, I was gonna make a suggestion, but you already found the solution.  Sometimes industrial is the way to go.  :wink:
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Rrumbler"Well, Tony, I was gonna make a suggestion, but you already found the solution.  Sometimes industrial is the way to go.  :wink:

Del City web pages give some of the specs .... they listed the width between the barriers, so I knew I was good there. LOL

Also bought a fuse block that has a #8 lead in for the ATC fuse size.  That block is gonna be on Falcon drag race car. I am going to full switch panel control since the OEM wire harness is from 1961.

:lol:
Tony

1800guy

For simplicity and compactness, you might look at the early Bosch-type connectors.  Just a dab of solder on the end of the wire to keep the strands splaying out - all brass inside the plastic body.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

jaybee

That looks like a great alternative--no connectors to crimp, therefore no chance to fail at the crimp.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)