Glass Beading Pistons

Started by Bib_Overalls, August 04, 2004, 11:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

I am going to put fresh rings on the stock pistons in my little Olds 215.  Years ago the recommended procedure for cleaning the ring groves was to scrape with a broken ring.  I have access to a glass bead blaster.  I plan on using iton the tops. Can I also use glass beads on the ring groves and piston skirts or should I scrape or???
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Jbird

Bib, my piston cleaning process is as follows;
1) Scrape off the big chunks
2) Remove the wristpins and old rings
3) Soak them in some old carb cleaner(the new stuff is just for carbs)
4) Rinse then after they're real dry glass bead the * out of them,     avoiding the wrist pin hole
5) Using an old ring, clean out any klingons in the ring grooves
6) Wash thoroughly, air dry
7) Get paranoid, have the block bored and buy a brand new set of
forged pistons and total seal rings

I've used steps 1-6 for years and never had a problem other than gasps from disapproving mechanics. The best thing about glass beading is the pistons are so clean you can easily spot any cracks or ring land problems.
       Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Bib_Overalls

My machinest said the motor would have run just fine if I had not taken it apart.  Cylinder wear is about .0025 in the worst hole.  So I am going to re-ring.  I will mask the pin holes before I bead blast.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

SKR8PN

Actually Bib,if you use the old broken ring scraper trick and then, mask the skirt area AND the pin holes when you bead blast them,You won't hurt anything......and be SURE there are glass beads in the cabinet and not SAND :lol:
One more bit of advice........... When you have completed your cleaning procedure,and you are ABSOLUTLY sure you have them clean,have them cleaned in a  hot jet parts cleaner AGAIN. I don't care HOW good you THINK you have them,Those glass beads are a mother to get off,and if you don't get them off,they WILL act like sandpaper on your cylinder walls.............
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Jbird

Years ago in my VW days, a buddy wanted to get his engine case as clean as possible so he pulled out all the oil galley plugs and glass beaded it. He must have spent a day making sure he got all the little beads out of the case. He put it together, it sure looked good. We ran it on a start stand to break it in. After about fifteen minutes it was smoking like a mosquito killer and had zero oil pressure. The really funny thing is, a VW case is a magnesium alloy so no matter what you do to it, scrub, wire brush, bead blast or polish, it will tarnish to a dull gray in just a few days.
   Jbird 8)

Crosley.In.AZ

Do not glass bead anything more than the tops of the pistons.  

You can screw up the ring grooves and other areas.  Glass bead will stick to the metal and wear down edges in the ring lands that need to be there.

Scrape the ring grooves gently with the old rings
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Jbird

Uh oh, a gasping mechanic. lol
  Jbird

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Jbird"Years ago in my VW days, a buddy wanted to get his engine case as clean as possible so he pulled out all the oil galley plugs and glass beaded it. He must have spent a day making sure he got all the little beads out of the case. He put it together, it sure looked good. We ran it on a start stand to break it in. After about fifteen minutes it was smoking like a mosquito killer and had zero oil pressure. The really funny thing is, a VW case is a magnesium alloy so no matter what you do to it, scrub, wire brush, bead blast or polish, it will tarnish to a dull gray in just a few days.
   Jbird 8)

=========== my boss is doing a restro on a 65 VW bug... the bug has been updated with a 1600cc motor when the car was stolen years ago. The engine, tire & wheels and deck lid was taken from the car.

He glass beaded the cases before going to the machine shop guy that  many people suggested.... My boss bought new engine cases after the guy showed him where lots of trapped glass bead was located in the case halves

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)