http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/25245/image/4/

Point and click to determine temperature range
Temperature range: -35 to +365C / -31 to +689F
Distance to spot ratio of 8:1
Laser pointer

this is the magix wand i use...

http://www.harborfreight.com/flex-shaft-infrared-thermometer-94233.html

Temperature readings: -58° F to 1112° F, -50° C to 600° C

i have been planning on gluing a thick Oring around the button area to prevent it from turning its self on and draining the battery when its in my tool bucket in the nice carrying case...

i spent the extra money on this one.. as i can bend the flex shaft and aim at hard to get at spots.. without needing to stick my hand in to the hot area...

there is also this one...  in a more conventional shape..

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

Temperature range: -4°F (-20°C) to 968°F (520°C)

there are high end professional models that can go up to like 1800F... but they are piles of dollars... and only needed by people like muffler shops and smog techs to verify the proper operation of catalytic converters... as they need at 2500 RPM to be 100F hotter on the outlet than on the inlet side...  if there is less.. or more temp difference.. problems exist..  but this is OFF thread... sort of throwing this under the car.. sorry...

wayne petty

change to 180 or 192 stat...   they are cheep...

the larger temp difference will allow the cooling system a larger differential between ambient air temp and the coolant temp in the radiator...

you will also want to verify with a shop rag on the front of the radiator.. that when you rev the motor up to about 1500 /2000 rpms  that the shop rag will be stuck to the radiator by the suction of the spinning fan...

if you are going to install electric cooling fans...  please.. use relays and thick wires  to reduce the voltage drop.. so the fans spin a full speed...

enjenjo

When idling does the temperature just keep rising, or does it get hotter and stabilise?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

I know that many are dead set against electric fans, but, I have used the Cooling Componants Inc shrouded electric fans very successfully on two vehicles. One on my 46 coupe has been on for probably at least 6 or 7 years without one problem. The one on my 53 F100 for maybe 5 years. I used 75 amp relays on both. They work excellent. Money well spent for me. I do realize that failure is certainly a possibility, but with A/C on these vehicles they have eliminated any cooling problems. I have yet to meet anyone running one that has had a failure.

BFS57

Quote from: "enjenjo"When idling does the temperature just keep rising, or does it get hotter and stabilise?

The temp seems to not go beyond 210 but long before that, I have switched the electric fan on and that seems to help. Im just not sure that with the added condenser and AC on, that the temp will hold!
I did measure today and the back of the rad is some 7" away from the engine fan.

Okiedokie; Yes, I agree about the cooling components fan as that is whats on my 32 but I am searching the net and not finding any to scoop up and I think (from what I have read) that those fan/shrod combos no longer have the same fan in them. I know what you mean, when my fan goes off in the 32 I can feel it by hanging my hand down the door Powerful as can be!

river1

is your gauge accurate?

maybe it's not getting as hot as you think it is.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

reborn55

Not running A/C yet on my 55 but do have hipo engine.  running 17-18 inch steel fan(A/C) approx 1 inch from the radiator.  Will sit and idle between 175 185 all day long in this heat.  have the original radiator that has been redone.  highway speeds--higher rpms and it will see 195 or so.  have electric fan on the front of radiator and don't think I have ever used it.