How do you make a black and a red from two yellows ?

Started by GPster, August 22, 2011, 09:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Dug out what I have that resembles a timing light and I can't figure out how to use it. It's an R A C light that I probably got at a yard sale or cleaning out someone's garage and I've never used it. It's a simple gun shaped tool with a light and 4 wires. Two of the wires are spark plug wire type, one with a male and one with a female spark plug terminals. That part is self explanitory. The other two wires are probably about 16 ga. with aligator clips on their ends. But both clips are yellow not one black and one red for positive and negative. I did some searching on the internet and came across someone with the same question (on a Ford truck site). He got no answer. Lots of people could explain how to use it with red and black clips but no one could explain the yellow. One suggested it was for a remote start swich but there is no continuity between the two yellow clips with the trigger on or off. Might it be a different kind of light that's not polarity sensitive?. I tried to go directly to the compary (Rite Autotronic Corp) but most of that heading brought Chapter 11 Bankruptcy notes. Anyone else ever tripped over one of these things. I'd rather not have to add the price of a timing light to the outlay on this Jeep and I certainly don't want it to eat a borrowed one. GPster

wayne petty

i had something like that back in the mid 70's...

it had a remote starter switch built into the trigger...

the timing light was powered by the spark directly...

got an OHM meter.. set it to continuity beep..

hook it up and pull the trigger..  if it goes beep beep beep.. pull over.  rambler is stuck in second gear again and trying to pass you..

i could be wrong.. but this is what i remember..