Tighten up the bends in a roll bar?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 13, 2011, 12:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

i've got a roll bar I need to narrow up the bottom of the legs.  This was a kit roll cage from Jegs.  The main hoop needs to be a bit narrow at the bottom of the legs

The legs are a bit wide by about 3 inches. I do not have a tube bender to drop them into and put a shade more bend on each side.

I have thought of use the "cable come-along" and squeeze the tubes together some.  I doubt that would move each leg in an equal amount.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

PeterR

Quote from: "Crosley"i've got a roll bar I need to narrow up the bottom of the legs.  This was a kit roll cage from Jegs.  The main hoop needs to be a bit narrow at the bottom of the legs

The legs are a bit wide by about 3 inches. I do not have a tube bender to drop them into and put a shade more bend on each side.

I have thought of use the "cable come-along" and squeeze the tubes together some.  I doubt that would move each leg in an equal amount.

Have you considered bending each leg separately by connecting the "come-along" from one end of the roll bar to the opposite top corner?

First lay the hoop flat on the floor and use chalk to trace the original shape on the floor.  

Then alternate bending each leg a little at a time while checking progress against the original shape marked on the floor to ensure you have an even amount of bend on each side.

wayne petty

i am taking that the roll bar is not installed yet.???  since its only a few degrees... how about a friend at a muffler shop.. using oversized tooling to prevent crushing as its frowned upon..

the other thing.. carving the ends of a chunk of 4x4.. to use as a spacer to keep the sides straight above the spot you want to bend it..  you will have to add some wood toward the top of the hoop to stop the brace from slipping up...

using an hole saw or a wood auger to drill through the 4x4 to give you a good radius to support the inside of the bar as you exert force..

you could also drill a 2x4 and slide it up the bars above the where you want to bend it .. so it does not spread above the brace.. but this depends on how straight the sides are..  

just cutting the wood to remove it..

then you could use your come along or extend the tubes with some other steel bar stock or long output shafts inserted for added leverage...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"i am taking that the roll bar is not installed yet.?

i can not get the roll bar ends  where I want  to weld in.  need to narrow up.

I have thought of use of wood between the bars to control the location of bend.

The down sides do have a slight bend 'in' about 1/2 down from the top bar corners.

Will look into bending one side at a time with come along as mentioned by Peter.

I need to be careful , only 1 bar to use, only one chance here.  LOL
Tony

GPster

How about this. Take the roll cage and rotate it so the top is verticle and find a stiff column to fasten it tightly to. With it close enough to the floor to get a jack under the base end of the side tube, jack that end up half of the distance that you need. Then repeat the proceedure by rotating the roll cage assembly horizontaly so that the top of the cage is again fastened to the column and the other side tube is close to the floor and repeat the jack movement. Maybe if you do each bend separate you will have better control and with the top fastened to something solid the bend will only be in the bend and/or the side tube. Or maybe can if you stand a little crown in the center of the top tube, you put a bend there and both sides would come in. GPster

Beck

This is going to sound really redneck, and it is...
My father is a long retired electrician. When they used to have to tweek heavy wall conduit bends here was method.
There was a telephone pole right next to the corner of their shop. You guessed it. Carry the couduit out to the pole. Lay one leg against the building. Put the radius on the pole. Get on the other end and pull..  Your problem is you don't get a practice piece..

I don't want to hack your thread BUT, Anyone have dies to bend 2" DOM?

Glen

I know this guy that has a tubing bender and he posts on this board...... :roll:

why dont you bring it over.

What diameter is it?  Hopefully its 1.625, that is the biggest die i have.

unklian

Can you put a shallow bend in the dead center, to bring the sides in a little ?

unklian

Quote from: "Crosley"

You can control the bend location, with heat.

Crosley.In.AZ

I was able to use the cable 'come along' program and move the tubes in.

thanks for the suggestions and offer of tube bender from Glen.  

Now that I know Glen has a tube bender my brain is working over time.  

:shock:
Tony

Glen

Crosley.In.AZ

that bender looks like a JD model 32 unit.  That tool  is on my bucket list if I can sell a few more cars  and my physical health  holds up
Tony