974 and the Texas Mile

Started by Hooley, April 11, 2011, 11:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooley

John,  That air dam sure does take a beating.  At the same time that happened it wore off about half of the engine bay belly pan. Also made of fiberglass.

Sat. the drags were rained out before they got started. So I didn't get to look for more shifter stuff.  I took what I had and cut and welded and made a set to work. I'm ready to bang some gears.  I got the tranny and shifter all fixed up and put in the car yesterday. Some times it was in the rain.   Today I'll put the water tank back in.  Doug did a good job of changing  the new water inlet hole.

Gotta go, Have Work to do.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

Hooley

Tue.    Water tank is in, full of water and the pump tested.  Every thing is going well.  I am still waiting on the tech people at the Texas mile to tell me if our tires will be ok to run.  It is getting down to short time and there may not be time to get other tires.  I better call and find out.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

Hooley

Just a week away till the Texas Mile. The car is almost ready to go. I fired the engine a couple a days ago it sounded good. Some minor tunning and guess how to jet the thing for low altitude and short run.  I'll leave the boost where it was last year and lean the fuel/ air ratio.  The car weighs around 3,400 lbs, I think that is about right.   Hope to see some of you there.  Be sure to come by.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

Flipper

I'm anxious to see how she does.  Good luck!

Hooley

Well, I got a week ahead of my self. I thought there was only one week but I have 2 weeks before its time to leve. There will be some free time before time to go.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

WZ JUNK

Air Dam is ready.

Make her go fast.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Hooley

MONDAY: Floyd and I loaded up the car and Suburban soo we could leave Wed morning.  Every things looks good except there is a lot more room in the car, truck, and trailer for more stuff. I guess it takes less stuff to go to Texas than to Bonneville.  We were going to try to run the car down the Tulsa drag strip Fri. night but it was rained out.  We will have to just see when we get to the Texas Mile.  

Later Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

jaybee

Good luck Hooley, can't wait to hear how it goes.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Hooley

Sorry about leaving every one hanging for the results.  Thanks John for posting the web site to that story.

We made a couple of passes fri each one about 10mph faster each time .
1st was 176 or so and the 2nd was 188.  The shut down area was plenty of room.  So didn't need the 2 chutes and only used 1 from then on.

Sat we were going for broke looking for 206 to 210.  1st pass was 199.9 just one tenth short of the 200 mark.
In the pits we raised the boost another 4 lbs to around 15 lbs total.  This did the trick and put it at 202.7 good enough for us.  A little sad /good news. At the end I hit an off set in the concrete and tore up John's Air dam that he had just fixed[see pic.] It took out some inner fender panel and poked a hole in the back tire. Nothing that can't be fixed  The good news is John won't get to fix this one. It will now be a wall hanger in John's shop.  I have a new one on the way.  This set a record for B/BGCC  and the 200 club.

We had such a good time in Texas that we plan on going in Oct. Oct 21,22 and 23.  Check out the Texas Mile web site.  We are setting the car for fuel class with the boost way up.   Hope we can put a record down for the fuel class.  One of the other mods for Oct is take the scoop off so I can see the track better. It will be able to go back on if needed

I am going to Bonneville with one of the other crews and looking forward to that.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"