ok guys working on a 66 coronet

Started by ACEMAN419, July 16, 2011, 11:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACEMAN419

first we converted it to a 440  from a 383 no pulleys line up. the car was coverted from a 318 before we started on it so any ideas on the correct pulleys,,,, the other question is about the 8 3/4 mopar rear we lookin for a posi i guess theres 3 different pigs we have a 471 are all the parts interchangeable and which is the strongest.       thanks ace

wayne petty

do you still have the 383 ????

got pictures...???????  

which pulleys don't align.... some of them should.....

there is a difference in cylinder head above crank centerline...

as the 383 is a low deck block and the 440 is a high deck block...

can you measure the dampers against each other???

Rrumbler

This might provide an answer to your dilemma; I don't know what the differences between the B and RB engines might be, but..........

Big block V8

Chrysler's big-block V8s fall into the following families:

1958-1978 Chrysler B engine (350/361/383/400)
   1959-1978 Chrysler RB engine (383/413/426W/440)
   1964-1971 Chrysler Hemi engine (426, sometimes called the 2G or Gen 2 Hemi to distinguish from earlier and later Hemi engines.[1]

The 383 cu in (6.28 L) RB block was only available in 1959-1960 on the U.S. built Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

wayne petty

i googled around....

found this site....

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/bigblockengines.asp

PLEASE NOTE: If You Are Not Sure If The Damper / Harmonic Balancer On Your Engine Is Original, Please Check Our Pulley Fit Speciation Picture (Found Here). To Measure And Make Sure You Have The Proper Damper / Harmonic Balancer Thickness. If It Is NOT Correct, You MUST Install Our BPE Damper / Harmonic Balancer For Proper Pulley & Bracket Alignment!

waynes warning... i seem to recall that there are serious balance differenced between 383 and 440 mopars... and  between cast cranks and forged cranks....

each pulley should have a chrysler part number stamped in it...

ACEMAN419

ok what about the third member whats the  diffence between the pig models  thanks

wayne petty

Quote from: "ACEMAN419"ok what about the third member whats the  diffence between the pig models  thanks

you might want to read this...   be sure to check out page 11...

http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Mopar_8_3_4_Rear_End_Guide.PDF

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/chrysler_8_34_rearends.htm

this page describes the different Center section types better..

for rodders who don't like to click on links... the important info

Center Section Types

The 8-3/4" axle was available in three basic types.  The types are differentiated by the pinion stem diameter....1-3/8", 1-3/4", 1-7/8".  The choice of axle pinion assembly was determined based on the application.  Differential bearing setting (ie. backlash ) is set with threaded adjusters on all carriers.  All 8-3/4" carrier assemblies can be identified externally by the casting numbers.

1-3/8" small stem pinion (aka. '741')
Carrier casting numbers:  1820657 (1957-1964), 2070741 (1964-1972).
This assembly was typically used in low weight/low horsepower applications through low weight/medium horsepower and high weight/low horsepower applications.
Pinion depth and bearing preload is set with shims.

1-3/4" large stem pinion (aka. '742')
Carrier casting numbers:  1634985 (1957-1964), 2070742 (~1961-1969).
This assembly was replaced by a phase-in of the 1-7/8" pinion starting in the 1969 model year.  1970 RW (Plymouth and Dodge mid-size) were the last models to use the 1-3/4" which appeared in a 2881489 case.  This assembly was typically used in high weight/medium horsepower applications through high weight/high horsepower applications.
Pinion depth and bearing preload is set with shims.

1-7/8" tapered stem pinion (aka. '489')
Carrier casting numbers:  2881488, 2881489 (1969-1974).
This assembly was introduced in 1969 and was phased-in to relace the 1-3/4" unit through 1970.  Note:  the 1-3/4" pinion also appeared in some '489' carriers during this period.  By 1973, the '489' was the only unit available in passenger car applications.  This assembly was typically used in high weight/medium horsepower applications through high weight/high horsepower applications.
Pinion depth is set with shims, preload is set with a crush sleeve.

The '741' commonly has a large X cast on the left side, the '742' may have a large 2 cast on the left side, and the '489' has a large 9 cast on the left side.  Through 1965, the factory ratio was stamped on the identification boss, followed by an 'S' if Sure Grip equipped.  After 1965, a tag was affixed under one of the carrier mounting nuts to identify the ratio.  If Sure Grip equipped, an additional Sure Grip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

some reading here...

don't know if any will cover your issue...   the upper links have covered most of your question..

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/sch/02/rear-end/articles/index.html

ACEMAN419

tomslik

742 is the prefered housing,489 would be 2nd and 741's are unsupported...meaning very little aftermarket stuff available
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

kb426

When you get down to which engine you have, I have the direct connection yellow book that had which crank and balance setup listed for all the engines. As I remember, all the forged crank engines were neutral of the flywheel and the cast cranks were all counterbalanced on the flywheel. If you need more info, I'll try to help.
TEAM SMART

ACEMAN419

the engine is a 1977   out of  rv ( has cast crank for sure)  when he bought it they said it had 1500 miles and was stored inside, when we pulled the plugs we seen water, and  when i rotated the crank to get at convertor bolts, 4 cylinders pushed alot of water out .   so we broke it down ,needed main bearings cause the pilot bearing wasnt removed and it interfered with convertor lucky the crank wasnt hurt only the bearing   we put a purple grind cam, rpm performer manifold, steel shim gaskts on the heads and milled .030 off the heads ,  after a good honing and cleaning. ill have him post pictures  he has a 11 inch  convertor   and a few more bolt-ons should run good    thanks  big al

wayne petty

please...

IDENTIFY this engine by the stamping numbers on the front of the block.....

above the water pump on the passenger side...

440-?  

identify the block casting numbers also...

identify the head casting numbers...

why.... MOST motorhomes used the 440-3 blocks    why...

the head gaskets and heads have different cooling passages in them... conventional heads and head gaskets DO NOT ALLOW proper coolant circulating... mixing 440-3 and non -3 parts won't work.. the engine will overheat...  

i am NOT telling you to take it apart... i only want you to verify that its done right before you fire it back up...

most of the parts suppliers will ask you  first...

wayne petty

anybody with a 440 motor that might have come from a motorhome...

might really want to read this little bit of info about the engineering behind the 440-3 motors to make them last...

http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/fmc/engine.html

wayne petty

casting number of the block 4006630-440-3  would indicate its a -3 motorhome /industrial motor... and uses the different head gaskets.. and heads...

these really don't cover the 440-3 blocks... must be a what the heck when comebody ends up with one..    remember i worked for a former mopar mechanic and then at the engine rebuilder so i have been alerted to this problem...  

i am NOT SAYING that you have done anything wrong.. i just want to make sure you are doing this right...    its a LOT easier to fix this before you melt the new pistons and have to buy another set and rebore the block and resurface the heads  replace the valves. valve seats and springs .. do to the thermal run away that might happen..

conventional mopar casting numbers..

http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/mopar/mopar%20casting%20numbers/castingnumbers.html

mopar stamping number locations..

cchttp://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/mopar/mopar%20casting%20numbers/castingnumbers1.html

mopar stamping numbers explained.

http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/mopar/mopar%20casting%20numbers/castingnumbers3.html

strength and changes in the 440 blocks...   "pictures here also"

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

AH!!!

a 440-3 forum....   read some of these...

http://moparforums.com/forums/f62/440-3-engine-4973/

The 440-3 is a casting for RVs and industrial engines it has an extra cooling passage, it has NOTHING to do with the quality of materials used. Lots of 440-3s are used for performance builds. If you use the head that come with it you will have to get a gasket set for a 440-3, if you use other heads a regular gasket set will work but I believe you'll need a different water pump, not real sure on the waterpump but I think it has an extra fitting to the heads but I may be wrong on that. Just check it out.

Here's a explanation of the dash number after the casting number. This is from 440source.com

While we are on the subject of casting numbers, often there will be what is known as a "tooling revision number" or a "dash number" after the casting number. A 1968 440 block, for instance, might read 2536430-12, or sometimes there will just be a space, such as 2536430 12, or sometimes 253643012. While 2536430 would be the casting number, the 12 would be the tooling revision number, which indicates how many times the tooling (core molds) have been reconditioned back to the proper specifications or modified to include improvements. After so many "pours" the tooling gets worn and needs to be reshaped or reconditioned. So theoretically, higher numbers will be later dates and have any casting improvements incorporated into them. The only problem with this theory is that engines were produced in such volume that many many different sets of tooling were used concurrently to meet the necessary output. So while some may have lasted for quite a while, (in which case you will find later dates with earlier revisions) some got worn quickly or damaged and needed to be revised after a short time. So while in some cases, parts with later numbers may include some improvements the earlier parts may not have, on a practical level, it means nothing as far as the quality of the piece. In other words, don't waste your time looking for an early or late tooling revision number. Blocks, heads, water pump housings and many other cast parts have revision numbers as well.

there is more on the forum site...  and more spread around the web..

wayne petty

this is from an older post...

and the info is ONLY in the felpro TRUCK gasket catalog.. which is why it gets glossed over...   the truck catalogs used to have a brown cover ... where the car catalogs have a blue cover...

According to an old (1991) FEL-PRO TRUCK gasket catalog the 440-3 engine uses:
HS 8519 PT (head set)
FS 8519 PT (full set)
8519 PT (head gasket)
The 440-3 has an additional coolant passage in the head,

wayne's comment... i will try to verify these numbers later...  again. this all depends on your block and head casting numbers...

felpro truck Ecatalog
http://ecatalog.federalmogul.com/Commercial.aspx

felpro E catalog selection...

http://ecatalog.federalmogul.com/

the lower should be made a favorite on every computer...

perhaps... felpro has changed the head gasket design..  to work on both engines.. i will double check in my printed catalog tonight..

wayne petty

i cannot find on a friday night... what the casting numbers fit other than a

it does look like a later model 440...

this really should NOT effect how the pulleys line up...

and you never did mention which one is out of line with the others...

or if you rectified it..

there are others on this board with significant more info than i have ..