350 TH Kick down cable question

Started by 47convert, June 23, 2011, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

I have a buddy's 33 Ford here and we want to connect the Kickdown cable to the carb, but, the cable doesn't pull out of the trans more than 1/4". I have the 350 I took out of one of my cars and it moves at least an inch which is what we need to allow the carb linkage to pull the cable out at full or almost full throttle. Any idea what could cause this? Also wondering how much trans fluid I'll lose when I remove the cable from the trans. Thanx

Crosley.In.AZ

could be a stuck cable or  the inner linkage on the valve body is bent or not hooked up correctly.

Should not be much fluid out the cable area if the vehicle has run recently.  If the trans sets a while the converter drains down and fluid will come out the cable hole when the cable is removed
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

47convert

I guess it was just because the car has been sitting so long. We have fired the engine a few times but it hasn't been put in gear for a couple of years or more. I jacked it up on stands, started it up and let it warm up a while. When I dropped it in gear with the wheels off the ground, the car stalled 5 times before it would continue to run in gear. Forward and reverse both. After I let the wheels spin free for 20 minutes and got everything warmed up the fluid level went back down to normal level. The outer cable had a tiny burr on the plastic right at the end (inside) and the inner cable would catch on it and stick hard. A lttle trim with a razor knife and everything works great. Thanx.