Ford 9" axle info

Started by 29abone, June 19, 2011, 03:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29abone

Can anyone with a Hollanders manual help me out?  What are the axle lengths of a '60 Ford full size car, and what Ford truck axles would be the same length, or could be cut to the same length??  :?
Larry

The joy is in the journey.

enjenjo

57 to 72 Truck is the same width, but I am not sure the pinion offset is the same. Trucks all use the large axle bearing, most cars except wagons use the small bearing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

29abone

:? I should have mentioned that I was interested in axle shaft lengths.  I have a '60 ford axle assy that I'm thinking of converting to a truck bolt pattern.  :?
Larry

The joy is in the journey.

enjenjo

Ok, I checked, and the pinion offset is different. Further, going through the axle lengths, there is nothing close enough to use without extensive modification. Your axle lengths are 30 3/16" right, and 27 13/16" left.

You likely have a standard passenger car rear end, which uses the small wheel bearing, except for a couple years of Bronco, all Ford trucks used large wheel bearings with the big bolt pattern. So any axle I find listed would need the bearing race remachined in addition to shortening. You end up approaching the cost of custom axles. Is there enough meat in your axles to redrill to the big bolt pattern? Moser will do that for $60

If ny some chance you have a station wagon housing, or one from a Spec/Police/taxi package, you have the large bearings, but the axle lengths are still wrong.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.