garage floor question

Started by wvcab, June 18, 2011, 11:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvcab

thinking of doing the epoxy floor thing in the shop, but had a thought, i do occasionally weld (gas and mig), what do you have to do to protect the floor ? ... just a random thought. :?:

wvcab

36 lookys, and no one has an answer... what i am curious about is the "embers" and hot sparks that fly when welding and cutting, what all do you do to protect the epoxy floor from being damaged?

wayne petty

when all else fails...

google..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=welding+sparks+and+epoxy+floors&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

at least until someone turns off their welder,  sits at their computer and turns it on.....

enjenjo

We had epoxy floors in the truck shop I retired from. We had tin pans made up that we put on the floor in an area where we were welding or cutting.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

i do not have epoxy paint on my floors here in the shop.. i do often use sheet rock under that area I am welding.  since the sheet rock paper will burn , I watch  it so i do not have a fire.

the metal pans enjenjo mentions sounds like the ticket
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Uncle Bob

I suppose it would also matter what "ocassionally" compares to.

I have epoxy on my garage floor, have done mig welding, gas heating, and plasma cutting over it (not in absolute contact).  So far no negative signs of damage from sparks, slag, or spray.  If concerned Frank's pan idea sounds good
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

wayne petty

drip pans are the best idea ..

drip pans are available in almost every parts store....

Blitz/3/4 x 25 x 36 in. galvanized drip tray Price:$9.99
Part Number: 11430
Alternate Part Number: AT20

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/blz/11430/image/4/

when used as a drip catcher under a parked car...  a smooth layer of kitty litter or oil absorbent will really catch the drips...  except for the stray cat who thinks he has found the biggest cat box ever..

wvcab

Quote from: "wayne petty"when all else fails...

google..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=welding+sparks+and+epoxy+floors&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

at least until someone turns off their welder,  sits at their computer and turns it on.....

i did google... but i wanted real world experince which is why i come here, at least here you get straight unbiased answers from real people. ( that was a compliment to y'all) (including team smart members) :lol:

enjenjo

Was that Y'all, or All Y'all ? :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quotei did google... but i wanted real world experince which is why i come here, at least here you get straight unbiased answers from real people. ( that was a compliment to y'all) (including team smart members) :lol:

Hey there....Some of us work VERY  HARD  to maintain our position in "Team Smart" ....  :?   Some people even resort to "Do Overs" to gain acceptance   :?:   :shock:

Bob............. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

river1

Quote from: "Uncle Bob"I suppose it would also matter what "ocassionally" compares to.

I have epoxy on my garage floor, have done mig welding, gas heating, and plasma cutting over it (not in absolute contact).  So far no negative signs of damage from sparks, slag, or spray.  If concerned Frank's pan idea sounds good

same experiance here,

except when i welded something laying on the floor. i had a couple of burn marks from "embers". when i've welded on what passes as my welding bench i've had no problems.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

wvcab

Quote from: "enjenjo"Was that Y'all, or All Y'all ? :D

yup.