Electric hoist

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 22, 2011, 10:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

do you need the swivel part of the lift over the dyno?

would extending the dyno lift with a stationary beam that spans over to your workbench work?

having been to your workplace i have the benifit of knowing the layout

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Glen

The diagram of waynes above is good, but make the main stand out of round tube.   cut it at 4 feet off the ground and slip a smaller OD tube inside the main base tube that extends to the desired height.  Put a bar on it so you can spin the upper section 90 degrees.  You could lift your trans off the cart, then grab the horizontal bar on the upper tube and spin the assembly back over the table.  if you wanna get fancy a bearing assembly between the two main pipes and a flat ring welded to each one would provide fluid movement.
Trying to slide the trans down a trolley will be just as hard on your back....the horizontal bar would allow you to stand straight and push forward at chest high.....a safety chain back to the handle would prevent the trans from swinging once you got moving.

Let me know if you want some help.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Crosley"enjenjo ... been looking at that design of the truck mount lift arm. That is the idea I am after.  I need to mount the pole to the floor and bench to achieve a stronger lift point.  I do not want the bench to do an end-O flip as I lift a trans

QuoteUgLy  ....  i have always tended to be a self sufficient guy, but you are correct.  I do provide answers to folks daily, weither it is an answer or a different idea on a method or task.

That's my point Tony.... You have no need to feel bad asking for help...

Young Guy's learn from us ....Part of "learning" is offering to help when needed ....Their turn will come in time ......

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"enjenjo ... been looking at that design of the truck mount lift arm. That is the idea I am after.  I need to mount the pole to the floor and bench to achieve a stronger lift point.
Mount the extension to raise the devise to the floor and the wall at the splice. Let the boom swing to the workbench or against the wall when you're not using it. That would limit the devise's protrusion into the workplace, it would not "nail down" the bench to one place if it's moveable and you can always keep a tool box on wheels in front of it. GPster

PeterR

Quote from: "Crosley"I need a small electric hoist cable motor to lift various items to bench height.  Weight would be in the 100 - 225 pounds.  Seldom at the 225# weight, but that would be max I think

I certainly agree with phat rat, that if you want to use a rail and dolly arrangement the round tube works really well.

When I was a young lad I worked vacations in a boat yard where they had a tube rail and dolly to lift outboard motors off the boats and move them into the workshop for service.     The big units weighed in at well over 200lb.   I know it could carry more than that because I remember watching three mechanics hanging from it and scooting along for their amusement.  

The OD of the pipe was about 2 inches so I would guess it was 1-1/2 inch NB pipe with supports from the roof about five feet apart.   The great thing about tube is that is that is does not have to be a straight run.   The dolly will quite happily follow around a bend with a radius of about two feet.  The rail at the boatyard had a total length about 30 feet, and three bends.

The lift was a simple block and tackle using white poly rope about 1/4inch in diameter and three pulley sheaves top and bottom.  These are sold in most big hardware stores.  I suspect a lever ratchet come-along would do just as well.

In your application the tube could run along the length of the bench parallel to the wall then at the end of bench curve out into the body of the workshop.  This would allow you to place the item anywhere along the bench.

kb426

There's several good ideas here. I have a barn trolley that I used to use for removing the screw blower off the dragster. It's limited because it's mounted to trusses. I bought a HF ladder cart before I started on the 32 in 07. It is really useful. It won't do what you're asking for but I appreciate where you're going.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

here is what I have working for a lift at my bench located at work.  

this is a scooter lift from a van.  Lifts the mobility  scooters the handicap folks use, into the vans. It is a 12 volt powered unit.  I have a car battery under the bench with a battery tender device to keep the battery charged up.

The powerglide trans,  I built for a monster truck named The Bounty Hunter. He tells us  1500 hp engine
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

NICE adaption of an existing device!! );b(  );b(

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Got to thinking about this today. I wonder what shops that do repair work on a lot of lawn mowers use. It could (literally) be a pain to have to work on them on the ground all day. GPster

wayne petty

most lawn mower shops that i have been in have a single piston hydraulic lift table that goes down flat to the floor...

or a hydraulic lift table..   think scissors lift table..  but larger..