Right size, won't fit

Started by jaybee, May 08, 2011, 09:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I have a 1" I.D. Hose to slip over a 1" O.D. Fitting.  Sounds easy, but the hose just doesn't want to stretch far enough to go over the prononced barb at one end.  Other end is fine, it has a smaller barb.  Any ideas in how to get it to relax a little?  It's reinforced with 2 layers of cord and has a fabric cover.  Last thing I did before calling it quits yesterday was get it real warm in front of a space heater and force a larger socket into the end hoping that will cause it to accept a little more stretch.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

Quote from: "jaybee"I have a 1" I.D. Hose to slip over a 1" O.D. Fitting.  Sounds easy, but the hose just doesn't want to stretch far enough to go over the prononced barb at one end.  Other end is fine, it has a smaller barb.  Any ideas in how to get it to relax a little?  It's reinforced with 2 layers of cord and has a fabric cover.  Last thing I did before calling it quits yesterday was get it real warm in front of a space heater and force a larger socket into the end hoping that will cause it to accept a little more stretch.

Have you tried any lube on it? I can usually get them on with some type of oil or even soap. My bro in law who is a Dr. in Houston tells avery funny story about using a free sample of Astro-Glide he got at his office to get a hose on a barbed line for his neighbor!!!  :lol:

tomslik

run down to the parts store and get some brake caliper assy lube.
not the stuff you put on the hardware but the lube you use to assemble the piston in the caliper.
i use that stuff on just about everything (injector orings,hoses,etc, no a/c stuff, though))
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Harry

Fat Cat

I use a litle warm water on the hose and some spray silicone on the hose fitting.

jaybee

All good suggestions.  I used a drop of cutting oil just smeared around the inside if the hose with my finger, just doesn't seem to get the job done.  Several of the things mentioned are water-based (obviosly) maybe that's a better way to go.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Rrumbler

It's most all been hit upon already.  I use heat, sunshine or a heat gun or hot water, and a dab of silicone grease.  I have used just about everything from old oil from the drain pan to WD-40.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

wayne petty

when i worked on the big boat... (last voyage story back in 2001/2 archives)

we ran into the same problem....    i did have a huge amount of stuff to work with...   we had some really big washers... that would fit tight over the hose..  i drilled a few hole round the outer edge...   took several strong short hose clamps... daisy chained them together...  wrapped them around the hose after putting the washer on...   several inches back from the hose barb...i put the hose clamps on..   the lumps where the screws were gave the washer someplace to push evenly against...

i used all thread  and a puller beam to pull the hose barb into the hose...

i did abrade the outer part of the hose slightly .. as i should have figured some way to protect it..   but it really got it together...

i pulled the washer off the other end of the hose..    

i could have cut it off in a pinch.. but it worked..

i hope this helps...

you might also want to carefully.. carve just the inner liner into  a <  sort of a tapered edge.. counter sink..   so the hose barb does not have a flat face to push against.. it can then slide over the inner liner slightly easier.. i am only talking 1/8 to 3/16 "  if that..

if somebody still has the archives with that post.. i sure would like a copy.. i remember it.. but typing it out again.. i might miss something..

rumrumm

Immerse the end in boiling water for about three minutes. Spray some silicone lube inside the hose. That has always worked for me.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Charlie Chops 1940

File down the O.D. of the "big" barb slightly......

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!