How bad are the cheap headers

Started by Beck, April 28, 2011, 03:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I haven't said anything about my newest project since it is again a late model, but I need some advice again. I picked up a 70 Camaro about 2 weeks ago. (I seem to be moving to the later model cars) It currently has factory exhaust manifolds. It isn't a resto so performance changes are welcome. While looking in Fleebay I came across a couple of places offering what appears to be the same cheap headers. These are stated to be 304 SS. Do any of you have thoughts on their quality. Here's a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120715072906&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This is going to be a cruiser with no strip time anticipated. I do want it to sound as though it can defend itself though. This is the same car I had asked about the Comp Cam Thumper camshaft for.

wayne petty

if you just wanted a cheep set.... of steel headers i have had a set of hooker headers from a 79 z28 kicking around for years... i figured i would use them on the engine stand like i normally do for test firing motors...

the collectors leaked at the center of the 4 way.. and some shop tried to weld it up unsuccessfully  ...  looked horrible..  so the owner got a new set.. i was going to drop them on the 71 RS camaro i had for a while.. but it was TOO low... with the 14" 50 series tires i had on it..

try this link...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Exhaust/Part-Type/Headers/Make/CHEVROLET/Model/CAMARO/Year/1970/Drivetrain/RWD/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

there have been some good buys on ebay...

decades ago.. a friend of mine was the manager of western performance.. who made PSP carded stuff.. performance shop products.. including headers.. i mentioned how i was tired of changing collector gaskets...  and next time they come up with a new design.. why not look at the OEM ball and cup type of connection..   so much better.. allows slight misalignment  and flex ability..

Beck

The stainless steel is what grabbed my attention on the Fleabay headers. Doesn't some of the cheap 304 still rust a bit?

I don't think I would be interested in a set of used ones that have a leak at the collector. Had a buddy that fought a set for a year. He finally did like your guy and bought a new set.

enjenjo

304 does not rust much. Cheaper 409 does, but only very slowly, and if painted with a good header paint, almost no rust at all
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

LOL, guaranteed, if they're going to leak, and cheap headers will for sure, they're going to leak where the 4 tubes meet to go into the collector!........and that's a * to fix....at least so it lasts!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"