How do I remove paint from a fan shroud

Started by Beck, April 26, 2011, 10:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I want to remove paint from a GM fan shroud. Somewhere along the line it was painted. The paint has terrible fish eye. I have a can of cheap paint remover. The back of the can states not to use on plastic. I have not tried a test spot yet. I don't know how tough the material is that GM used. I thought about trying to bead blast it but I think that will make it fuzzy. If I get it clean and it looks bad I will paint it again, hopefully without fish eyes.

Any thoughts?

enjenjo

You might try soaking it in a solution of Simple Green and water. You can also try WD40.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Try 3M safest stripper, I wrap parts with saran wrap after applying it and let it sit . It stripped 2 layers of paint to bare metal in one try.

Beck

I had some stripper from the local discount store on hand. I tried a spot on the bottom of the shroud. I saw no damage to the part so I did the whole thing. The shroud is a bit worn and discolored but I believe that is why it was painted. I don't think the stripper caused any further damage to the part. I hosed it with high pressure water then scrubbed it with cleanser and rinsed it again. I could have just put it outside in our perpetual downpour to clean the stripper off.

wayne petty

i wonder how good this is..  

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=119

compared to the original plastic primer from paramount paint and lacquer..

Beck

I knew I saw plastic paint somewhere. I remember that can lable. I'm thinking this stuff is for the slick plastic like we see on the lawn chairs and such. The fan shrouds are quite a different finish. They are pretty rough. The paint that was on it would not have been bad if it were fresh and not full of fish eyes. The shrouds do not flex like a plastic lawn chair does. I'm thinking I will just spray regular auto paint without priming it. I don't have the best confidence in the Rustoleum products for long term auto use. Solvents seem to attack them quickly in my opinion.

wayne petty

one last thing.... when i worked at the paint store with dad...

when a project had fisheyes... and a lot of spray waxes had silicone oils in them....   causes fisheyes...   many refinishers used a few drops of silicone oil in the paint when putting it in the spray gun cup...    silicone caused fisheyes were eliminated...

even recoating a previous fisheye damaged coat... silicone oil drops were added to the cup...

but....  that cup and spray gun was carefully cleaned completely with a tear down afterwards...  if you were not going to spray the same piece or use silicone everytime...

one also had to be sure that overspray with silicone drops in it did not land on other items to be painted...

i seem to recall that the part number assigned to the silicone oil was 3w12..   but that was probably an in company part number..

it came in a bottle with an eye dropper type cap...  squeeze bulb.