Chevy clutch question

Started by DRD57, April 20, 2011, 05:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

I'm using a 60 Chevy truck bellhousing with the fork on the right side for a Model a coupe that I'm building with a SBC and a 4-speed. I have the right starter, clutch fork and slave cylinder. Now I'm trying to figure out which clutch and flywheel I need.

I tried a 12" clutch that I had in stock but, it prevented the engine from turning over because it hit the bellhousing. I checked a few parts sources and it looks like a 60 Chevy truck uses a 10.5" clutch.

So, here are my questions: does the 10.5" clutch use a different flywheel than the 12" clutch? What do I need to make this work?

enjenjo

You will need a 55 to 61 Chevy car or truck flywheel for a 10.5 clutch. Some of the later trucks will work too, until about 71 if they have a small clutch. Since you have all the other parts, it might be easier to have the flywheel redrilled for the smaller clutch. Usually costs about $50 around here.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

DRD57

I'm sure I can get my hands on the right flywheel if I know what I'm looking for. I seem to remember that there are two different diameter flywheels or two different counts on the number of ring gear teeth.

enjenjo

Yes, you need the big one. 168 tooth I believe.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.