It's keeping me from my hot rod.

Started by Jokester, July 28, 2004, 10:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

Hi all,

I'm not too fond of late model posts either, but this is keeping me from working on the good car.  I've got a '90 Lesabre 3.8 V6.  I've replace the module, coil pack, cam sensor, and plug wires.  Plugs look like new.  I can start this car and it will run like a clock for as long as I let it run.  But if I shut it off, it will not restart unless it cools down for at least an hour.  It has no spark.  I do have battery voltage at the module.  I have actually tried 3 different modules and coil packs.  I had one set I took off of another car that ran, and also a new coil and module.  I've had all the modules tested off the car and all test OK.

Any suggestions?

thx.

.bjb               :(
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

rooster

Been there done that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try this: Start eng get its temp all the way up ( to where it wont start again)! Dump ice water on cam shaft sensor! See if it starts. Ther are thin wires inside the sensor, they get hot they dont work, they cool your back in bussiness.  Replace sensor, or carry a lot of ice water with you. Give it try! I did this test on a 87 3.8 Buick Park Ave.

I posted info on this at old roders round table II called " Ice water for your tool box" maybe fatcat can get it for you.

enjenjo

Another thing to check, the crank trigger. The magnets work loose and cause this type of problem
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"Another thing to check, the crank trigger. The magnets work loose and cause this type of problem

crank sensors are ALWAYS dying on these.
not hard to replace, just make sure it doesn't hit the vanes on the backside of the balancer, takes a good eye.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

oiler

Crank sensor.
These will start without the cam sensor hooked up.
It is only for fine tuning fuel and spark delivery.

Jokester

Three votes for the crank sensor.  I had already tried to put one on that I had lying around, but it was the wrong one for the car.  Today I bought one, and guess what; IT'S RUNNING!  

Thanks experts.

Now back to the interior.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.