Flaming River M-2 PS Rack. Different after 2005??

Started by acr, February 24, 2011, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acr

Flaming River started selling a new design Mustang II PS rack about 2004-2005. Has any one installed or driven a car with this rack? It's supposed to be a little slower. I was wondering if the changes are noticable in hi-way driving?  

acr

Somebody, anybody? Or maybe Nobody's done this recently!!

enjenjo

I've used a later Mustang rack that is slower than the Mustang II rack, it is very noticable. Never used a Flaming River rack.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

acr

Quote from: "enjenjo"I've used a later Mustang rack that is slower than the Mustang II rack, it is very noticable. Never used a Flaming River rack.

Thanks for the reply. What year Mustang power steering rack did you user?

enjenjo

79 to 92 I think. The 83 to 87 Tbird rack is dimentionally the same as the Mustang rack, and even slower.

enjenjo

Quote from: "enjenjo"79 to 92 I think. The 83 to 87 Tbird rack is dimentionally the same as the Mustang rack, and even slower.

I went and looked at the site, and I believe what they are selling for the Mustang II is the later type Mustang rack in an early type housing.

acr

I emailed the Flaming River Tech Line, good quick, informative, response from them. They said the new rack has 3-7/8 turns lock to lock with 6" travel, where the old rack had 2.5 turns lock to lock with 3 1/3" travel. Linear movement for the new rack is 2.086" movement per one turn of the pinion, the old rack has 2.282" linear movement per one pinion turn. Both racks have a 15 to one ratio, the newer rack is slightly slower.
I have the old style rack & would like to know if this new rack would feel noticable different, esp. less twitchy when driving at hi-way speeds?