Axle Removal 9 inch rear end??

Started by seadog, February 21, 2011, 09:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I'm trying to remove the axles from a new 9 inch rear in order to test fit a Wilwood brake kit.  Right now it's just the axle housing with the axles and bearings installed.  There is NO center section.  I have removed the  flanges that hold the axle to the tube and flailed away with a slide hammer until I about passed out and the * thing won't budge.  I've never had one not come out.  What's going on here?  Do I need to heat up the end of the housing in the area of the bearings?  
...and don't anybody say, "Get a bigger hammer"...
Thanks.

phat46

I've had prople say that by attaching a heavy chain to the axle and whipping it the axle will come out. I got one out by parking the truck close to a tree, wrapping a tow chain around the tree and attached a come along between the chain and the axle. Cranked the come along really tight and rapped on the axle tube with a bfh and it popped out..after a while..kinda hillbilly, but the axle was out. :lol:

wayne petty

if there is not any center section...

what's holding the axles in alignment... i bet they have some sort of tube in there....  to prevent the axles from flopping around when weight is set on the rear end to stop bearing damage...

pull the dust cover thats bolted over the opening...

you will find a chinese finger puzzle of some kind.... between the axles...

you can tell if there is something there.. as if you turn one axle.. the other one will turn also.. like a Spool....

GPster

Quote from: "wayne petty"if there is not any center section...

what's holding the axles in alignment... i bet they have some sort of tube in there....  to prevent the axles from flopping around when weight is set on the rear end to stop bearing damage...

pull the dust cover thats bolted over the opening...

you will find a chinese finger puzzle of some kind.... between the axles...

you can tell if there is something there.. as if you turn one axle.. the other one will turn also.. like a Spool....
And if that's not the case maybe with the cover removed there is enough space between the splined ends of the two axles to get some kind of "Porta-Power" wedge in between them and wedge them apart until at least one axle comes out. Then maybe plan on new axle bearings. GPster

Glen

if there is no center section have someone lift up the the splined end of the axle thru the pinion area to relieve the dead weight hanging out there in mid air, as they are supporting that end of the axle, try to pull the axle out again......I think its bound up in there due to that weight.

UGLY OLDS

Quote...and don't anybody say, "Get a bigger hammer"...

Ahhhh......Get a smaller axle   :?:  :?:    :-}

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

seadog

I Got It Out!  Thanks for all the good input.  This morning my 86 year old next door neighbor came over and showed me how to use a couple of long 3/8 inch bolts and nuts through the axle flange to get it out.  It was stuck for a fair-thee-well but with some appropriate grunting and cussin' we got it out.

GPster

Quote from: "seadog"This morning my 86 year old next door neighbor came over and showed me how to use a couple of long 3/8 inch bolts and nuts through the axle flange to get it out.  
Tell everyone they were Grade 8 bolts so no one thinks your no strager than all thread and an 85 year old. GPster