flushing a p/s system

Started by jaybee, February 28, 2011, 07:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I can't believe I have to ask this.  Truly a facepalm moment...

If someone said to you "That's the radiator?  I thought that one was the radiator so I topped it off with coolant" and pointed at the power steering pump, what would you do next?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

First, slap their moma.  :x

Was it run that way? Did they add water or antifreeze?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i have seen that before..

yes... drain and flush the system...

ATF is available in gallon bottles now...   as is clear power steering fluid...

a 5 gallon bucket with a lid snapped is what i use as a catch can... with a hole in the lid for the extended return line stuffed into..

so.. a drain pan under the pump on the floor.. disconnect the return line at the side of the pump ...  if the engine has not been run..  you can pour fresh fluid through the pump at this time...

if the pump has been run..    plug the return fitting out the pump..

extend the return line to run it into your 5 gallon bucket... you might want to use a hose clamp or multi wrapped wire around the hose to keep it from becoming a very messy loose firehose...

with a modified transmission funnel.. cut so you can fill the pump with decent speed....    

i normally have a helper to do this next step...   i have them ready to start the engine.. as soon as they start it.. they whip the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock as fast as they can.. when i run out of fluid as i am pouring it in at the same time...  i have them turn off the engine before the pump runs dry... a really important step...

for normal power steering flushes... there is a neat machine with 2 hoses that stick into the pump tank...    the engine is started and the tech starts the exchange machine..   the pump extracts fluid and installs the same amount on the fly...

hope this helps... you really did not say quite what help you needed...

jaybee

Wasn't easy but I managed not to blow up.  Momma was ready to protect her baby if necessary.

It was run about 15 minutes with a few ounces of antifreeze mix.  Drained and flushed with fresh fluid until the chocolate milk went away.  Started the engine, found more chocolate milk.  Repeated until clear.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)