dash panel

Started by enjenjo, February 12, 2011, 06:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I needed to make a new panel to hold the heater and AC controls for the AD pickup I am doing. The original panel is die cast, and not useable for the new controls. It is not real complicated, but the panel is curved, and the curve is not constant. To complicate it, the stems on the switches were not long enough to fit through the 3/8" material I was making the panel from. I milled a recess all aroung the panel 1/4" deep, so it would fit tighter to the dash, and milled a recess on the back side for each switch.

To bend it, I made an oak die that would fit in my press. I drilled some holes, and used bolts to hold the die in alignment. I cut the outside radius, allowing for spring back, and cut a radius for the back side after subtracting 3/8".

I put the whole deal in the press, and pumped it up. I had to do a minor adjustment using a shim after the first try, but it came out just like I needed after the second try.

I have to get a bracket welded on the back to hold it in place, then it's just a matter of sanding and polishing before chrome.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Boyd Who

Very interesting use of the press! I would have never thought of doing it that way. Thanks for the post, the panel looks great!

Charlie Chops 1940

That'll work grasshopper. Nice job.

I have a Socal C shaped license surround designed for a flat panel that I want to curve across the top to fit the Volvo trunk lid. I'm sure it's a cast part. A similar bending tool would probably do if the cast aluminum will bend.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

Good thinkin' Frank ... :idea:   Thats gonna work Slick  8)  );b(

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

reborn55

Very nice work.  Amazing what a little ingenuity  can do

moose

Another trick to steal!