Bonneville 2011

Started by 47convert, January 30, 2011, 11:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

A group of my buddys (including me) are heading to Bonneville for the first time this year. We'll be camping and would appreciate any advice we can get. Can someone tell me about "The Bend" and how to camp there? Do we need to reserve a spot? etc. Any advice from you veterans would help. Thanx

Charlie Chops 1940

Look at the SCTA site for starters. There is some good info there.

The bend in the road is open to all,  no charge. I've never seen it fill up but it can get noisy at night with the idiots with fire works, dirt bikes and ATV's. Earplugs help. The last couple years I camped to the west side of the bend and once in the hills north of the pits but that can be hard on tires. Be prepared for wind in the evening and at night. I had to move into the car one night in 2009.

Lots of sunscreen and water. Police your area and take your trash out with you. Showers are available at the truck stop. There are porta pots at the bend. Use at your discretion.

There is a KOA in Wendover but it fills by reservation long before August. Truthfully though, it's a bit of a dump but it has facilities.

Joib SCTA and get your passes, rule book, etc in the mail. It's the best deal if you're gonna spend more than a couple days at the salt.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

Take insect repellent and anything else you could need. Shopping is very limited in Wendover. Be very respectful of the salt. Failure to do so will end badly. There are no creature comforts so keep that in mind as to how your body responds to extremes.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I second Charlie's thoughts.  I would add that you can visit the landracing site.  Go to the forums and look through the Bonneville section.  There are some topics there that might be helpful.    Here is the link  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html

Warning, on our first trip to the salt, we went as spectators.  On the way home we started building a car to run there.  It turned out to be one of the greatest experiences of my life.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

I never have needed insect repellent at the salt but I always have some in my survival kit in any event. Agreeably Wendover is a small town but you can buy almost anything there. Smith's is probably the best grocery store; it's on the west end of Wendover, NV. Get a discount card.

I went the 50th meet in 1998 as my first visit. Like John I've never been the same. I've been back another 5 or 6, maybe 7 times. Crewing on the #974 Studebaker is one of the most enjoyable, exciting, and rewarding as anything I've ever done. I'm not sure spectating will ever be the same.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

QuoteSmith's is probably the best grocery store; it's on the west end of Wendover, NV. Get a discount card.

If you have a Kroger card that will work at Smith's.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

I have been there 3 times.  The first time it was a spur of the moment decision, left home Friday morning, and was back Sunday evening.  I knew some from the board, but met many there.  Charlie says it best on the 974 car, I couldn't say it better.  

Plan on more fun that you could ever have.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Flipper

Me and my son went last year as spectators.  We camped in a tent at the bend in the road and ate at the mexican restaurant in the truck stop.

Watching the sunrise on the salt is an awesome experience.  I hope to do it again this year.

Here are pics of this past years trip:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505071&highlight=flipper+bonneville

47convert

Thanx guys - it's a bucket list kinda thing. Appreciate all the good advice!

Beck

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"The bend in the road is open to all,  no charge. I've never seen it fill up but it can get noisy at night with the idiots with fire works, dirt bikes and ATV's. Earplugs help. The last couple years I camped to the west side of the bend and once in the hills north of the pits but that can be hard on tires. Be prepared for wind in the evening and at night. I had to move into the car one night in 2009.

Charlie

In 2010 the west side of the bend had a lot more campers. I've gone to Bonneville the last 3 years. I've always stayed in motels never camped at the bend. If you can find a motel they can be pricy, especially for what you get. My eyes get irritated from the salt and sun. I always take eye drops. Chap stick helps the lips too. .Quality sun glasses are a must!

My sugestion is to get there early, for advance tech. By the middle of the week the crowd is gone and things are much more peacefull, but many of the participants are also gone. When guys break their cars or have done all they can do they head for home. I always wondered why Street Rodder's road tour shows up so late in the week. By the time they get there they have missed most of the event.

The days I spent knocking around in the 974 pit will always be a "sweet spot" in my life.

Inprimer

Been brought up a million times, make sure you bring sun screen or you will look like a lobster also a good floppy "Nam type" hat and good sunglasses ,also drink a lot of water, you de hydrate at a fast pace, I know i live in S/W  Az

bucketmouth

Been a few times and unfortunately wont be going there this year nor any where in the states which is rather sad.
I can only echo everyone elses words respect the heat, the heat reflecting of the salt is different to the sun shining down on you at the beach. Drink lots of water and have a decent hat.
There is next to no shade so be prepared for it.
Apart from that it's the ultimate hotrod experience. 8)

Oh one last thing don't wear baggy shorts, the reflection could be painfull :wink:
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.