Daily driver maintenance..grrr. Use it or lose it.

Started by Arnold, January 20, 2011, 01:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

I need to get another daily driver grrr. lol..another daily driver so I have a backup(life in the boonies) I don't mind old..but living  in the rust capital of the universe..I think..8-10-12 years is the end of the road up here. Yep..I have seen enough rust nonsense on 8 y/o and older vehicles to wake me up. SOoo..I am sortta thinking about a new one(keep it about 10-12 years or something used about 4-5 y/o and keeping it for 5/6 years and then off to the dump. Looks like used is the best option for me. I don't mind fixing them.New..is a lot more money. IF the new thing does break/needs service..gets hit(not uncommon here)= NO transportation. Nearest service is not close. No taxis or public transit. 2-4/5 y/o vehicles..double the cost..depreciation,insurance..gas to keep it alive. Oh well.

I am sort of thinking that I will have to drive it every day to keep it alive. I do know that after having lived in a cold,damp climate that  there is just no leaving your back up vehicle not started/not driven..and then expecting it to be there for you. Up here..if you do not start your car every day (winters)..then day 2 or whenever you do get it going is going to be that much harder. Let alone brake issues.

Newer cars need much less warmup..

I am sortof thinking..get a 4/5 y/o vehicle..one that has a reputation for going another 4/5 years without huge nonsense,and then driving it every day for about 20 minutes. I live close to a highway..so when I get it warmed up..winter..5-10 minutes...then bring it back and do this again every day. Ya ya gas..lol..keep it in my shop and keep the shop heated. Ya right. Wash the salt off 1/wk,oil spray yearly,maintain it.

Sound about right? Drive about 10 min. in the winter..on the highway..get it warm..this should? get almost all the dampness/moisture out of it. Then  drive it back. Anyone think that more or less driving time is required?

Thanks again..

enjenjo

I know we don't have the extremely cold temperatures here, but my Ford van often sits a month or more in the winter without being started, and usually starts right up. I do have problems with the brake lines rusting out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

I'm not sure where you live, but unless it stays very cold, like below zero F all the time I don't know why you would need to drive the car every day. I would think once a week for 20 minutes would do. My old cars sit in the shop all winter and they're lucky to get started a couple times per winter and they always start right up. It gets as cold in my shop as it does outside since I can't afford to heat it the last few winters. My Daily sometimes sits for a week or more in the winter and starts and runs like i just shut it off five minutes before.

UGLY OLDS

I rotate my three drivers ...I travel approx 40 miles round trip to & from work ..( All interstate driving) ...
I use a vehicle Monday through Thursday & drive my pick-up on Friday ....During the week my wife uses the pick-up or the other cars for local "chasing around" .... 8)

I agree...Letting something sit just causes the bottoms to rust off...  I have been close to my pick-up since new ..
( I bought it from a close friend when 9 years old & 71K miles ) .It gets muffler #18 installed next week .  :shock:

Yes ...If you don't use them they just rust away ..... :cry:   Like Frank ...I make brake & fuel lines in my spare time . :lol:  
 I scrapped my last Suburban when the rust reached the rear windows ...From the BOTTOM UP.. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  That truck even had a rusted glove box door  :roll:

It's just a part of living in the "Salt Zone" ........ :(

Bob............. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

river1

i know what you all mean rust is a serious problem here too!

after sitting with no paint for a few decades we get some mean surface rust to deal with :P

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

1800guy

Dare I suggest - get a couple of old RWD Volvo's - they run forever, don't rust too badly, and get fairly good mileage.  My wife and I have 3 between us - 87, 90, & 92 - so there is always a back-up available.  If I have a diagnoses problem I can borrow the questioned part from another car - when gas prices spike weekly we can drive whichever has the full tank.  The money saved not buying collision/comprehensive insurance pays for the third set of plates with change left over.  If something bad happens to one of them, it will become a donor for the others.

Gee - I feel like I just came out of the closet  :lol:
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Arnold

Thanks very much guys..

It is zero..very often here. Below zero..often. A lot! lately. Dampness is severe here!! Hoar frost (frozen frost hanging..blowing in the air is very common.) Right after I posted this I spent waaay too long ice scraping my truck. My shop is not heated..I think with the dampness around here..I would be better to park outside. At least the sun deals with it outside to some extent.Deal with the ice. Ya..brake lines rusting out. Use it is the best way to deal with that. Lines that look ok and rust from the inside out ain't fun. Volvos..some love em some hate 'em. I had em. Don't wanna knock them..or start a war..No offence..but thanks... Uncle Bob..Team Smart award for you for NOT rust proofing the glove box door. YOU should (of)know(n)better. "I love the smell of napalm/(making brake and fuel lines in my spare time) in the morning".

Thanks again..Arnold..