Speedway Motors steering column

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2011, 06:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Any body here used the basic steering column from SpeedWay?  see photo

For 100 bucks for a 32 inch column with a removable steering wheel mount..  double D on the end for U-joint attachment
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tom36

Friend of mine used one in his roadster Pick up -  Worked fine.  The quick disconnect steering wheel feature was kind'a cool as an anti theft device.
Tom...

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a couple of them, one for the Volvo and one for the '32. I bought both used for under  $100 and they are stainless. That's pretty much cheaper than I can build one for. They appear well enough built.

When I made the one in my track roadster I used C9's build with some departures for locally available bronze bushings, linear roller bearings and collar clamps. I bought a used wheel with Speedway's quick disconnect - the aluminum one with removable pin. I had about $60 cash in it and a few hours of labor. Maybe a wash.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

I could buy some steel tube and delrin to make bushings.  Would still need a steering wheel mount and other parts.  I have some double D shaft for the end

Not sure the money would be saved by  DIY effort on this.  Could build a lighter unit like Glen did in his Nova project.

Another friend Doug was building columns for  1932  street rods he builds
Tony

Charlie Chops 1940

I see that the quick disconnect adapter and shaft is $45 at Speedway now. Might as well make the rest yourself. It's certainly not tough to do. I like to make things I can make better, cheaper or that I can't buy.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

kb426

I've made several from either 1.5" or 1.75" tubing. I use the flange lip bearings like you find in tube rollers with a .75" id. I use .75" round shaft and adapt to both ends as necessary. I'm not a bushing fan. I see nothing wrong with Speedway's kit.
TEAM SMART

unklian

How is the fit on their quick release hub ?

I remember when they first came out, they were not real precise.

Glen

if it is a five or six sided hub on the quick release I would pass, you want the style with many splines.

Charlie Chops 1940

Glen,

The one I use is the splined unit. Much better than the hexagon one.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

the fine splined hub is out of reach for the budget. That hub design is near half the cost of a whole column from Speedway

Still looking and thinking.
Tony

Glen

Tony, what about this quick release?  a little oven cleaner would take the sexy  :roll:  purple anodizing off.  Above you mention a steering wheel mount, these are all drilled to mount a standard grant wheel.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Quick-Release-Hub-w-Steel-Splined-Sleeve,14834.html?parentDisplayId=1380

This one below is pretty slick, the steering wheel only goes on one way so you retain the proper clear view: