Crosley - 700R4 Questions

Started by Bib_Overalls, July 11, 2004, 04:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Tony,

I'm building an all aluminum Olds 215 to go in a flyweight "Lakes Style" 26/26 T project.  These engines were factory rated at 185 hp.  

D&D Fabrications in Michigan makes several adaptor plates, BOP pattern, satandard Chevy pattern, and one that takes the 700R4 that came behind 2.8 V6s in S10s.  They recommend the S10 version because the bell housing is smaller and the assembly looks right.  

So I am going junking.  Is there any model or year that is better than another.  I understand they are a couple of frictions short but that they can be upgraded.  Do you think I will need to do this or will the stock setup live behind my motor.  Are there any other modifications or upgrades you recommend?

Like all the posters here I really appriciate you.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

Find the newest tranny from an S-10 as possible.  The late  tranny has a better calibrated valve body over all of the early units

I think the last small V6 700 tranny was used in 1989 model year, mayb 1990
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "Crosley"I think the last small V6 700 tranny was used in 1989 model year, mayb 1990

Tony,

I think I screwed up.  Today I bought a "700R4" core with the 60 degree V6 bolt pattern.  Turns out I got a 94 4L60E.  Purchased It from a transmission shop for $40.  They are good guys and I am sure I can take it back if I have to.

So, my question.  Can I use the 4L60E or should I get a 700R4?  I want to keep this simple and I suspect the 4L60E will require a stand alone computer.

What say you?

Bib
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"
So, my question.  Can I use the 4L60E or should I get a 700R4?  I want to keep this simple and I suspect the 4L60E will require a stand alone computer.

What say you?

Bib

A 4L60E requires a computer to operate...

the photo shows a 4L60E tranny with electrical connector. Is that what you have?
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"I think the last small V6 700 tranny was used in 1989 model year, mayb 1990

Tony,

I think I screwed up.  Today I bought a "700R4" core with the 60 degree V6 bolt pattern.  Turns out I got a 94 4L60E.  Purchased It from a transmission shop for $40.  They are good guys and I am sure I can take it back if I have to.

What say you?

Bib

Have you considered a 200R4.  Might take care of the bolt pattern problem and they can be a good transmission.  Not as deep a 1st gear as the 700, but would probably work real well for you.  They are a little smaller and shorter.

c ya, Sum

Bib_Overalls

Have you considered a 200R4.  Might take care of the bolt pattern problem and they can be a good transmission.  Not as deep a 1st gear as the 700, but would probably work real well for you.  They are a little smaller and shorter.

c ya, Sum

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes Tony, that is what I have.

The little all aluminum Olds and Buick motors have their own transmission bolt pattern.  D&D Fabrications makes three automatic transmission adaptors; BOP, standard Chevy and one for the 700R4 that hooked up to the 2.8 V6.  They recommend the later because the bell housings are a good match.  The others stick way out all around.  My motor is going to be visible so the asthetics are important.  And small bell housing cores are cheap.  

I can get a bare 700R4 case for cheap.  Assuming later is better I'm woundering if the guts from the 4L60E will fit in the earlier case and just what other hard parts I would need to make the conversion.

The 4L60E comes with an electronic spedometer sender and that is about $75 savings if I can use it.  It might be worth it to just buy another core and use the best from both.

I can use the bare 4L60E case when I mock up the drive train.

What do you all think?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

Yes Tony, that is what I have.

The little all aluminum Olds and Buick motors have their own transmission bolt pattern.  D&D Fabrications makes three automatic transmission adaptors; BOP, standard Chevy and one for the 700R4 that hooked up to the 2.8 V6.  They recommend the later because the bell housings are a good match.  The others stick way out all around.  My motor is going to be visible so the asthetics are important.  And small bell housing cores are cheap.  

I can get a bare 700R4 case for cheap.  Assuming later is better I'm woundering if the guts from the 4L60E will fit in the earlier case and just what other hard parts I would need to make the conversion.

The 4L60E comes with an electronic spedometer sender and that is about $75 savings if I can use it.  It might be worth it to just buy another core and use the best from both.

I can use the bare 4L60E case when I mock up the drive train.

What do you all think?

============== Some of the parts are swappable from a 4L60E to a non E.  Stuff under the tranny pan are vastly different from "E" to "non E".

Buying a bare 700 case is fine.  Do you know what valve bodies and related parts to use with each case/ valve body design?  I'd find a good local tranny guy that knows the 700 parts to avoid a mismatch of valve body parts.

You can use an empty case for mock up. As long as you use a case similar to what you need in final setup.
Tony

Bib_Overalls

Tony,

This afternoon I went by the transmission shop where I purchased the 4L60E.

The guys there are very nice.  They swapped me out for what looks like a 90 model out of a Camero or Firebird.  

Lots of dirt and crud, not unusual for this neck of the woods.  Lots of folks live on gravel roads.  Tomorrow I am taking it over to a friend'd for a quick power wash.  Once it is clean enough to disassemble I will go to it.

Certainly appriciate your help.  When I was searching for 700R4 sites yours came to the top of the list.  And most of the entusiasts sites, including one from Norway, had a link to your page.

Tony, You are the transmission guy and we are glad to have you.

Thanks
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Tony,

Certainly appriciate your help.  When I was searching for 700R4 sites yours came to the top of the list.  And most of the entusiasts sites, including one from Norway, had a link to your page.

Tony, You are the transmission guy and we are glad to have you.

Thanks

thanks.

I am near the completion of some updates and additions to my web pages. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will get the new stuff up and running.

I recieve questions from all over this rock we live on. Often I recieve information that I add to the pages to make it easier for the lay person to understand stuff on trannys.
Tony

Bib_Overalls

Today I went ove to my friend Roger's shop and he coached me through the art of taking a 700R4 apart and cleaning everything up.  I had pressure washed the outside and that helped a lot.  But getting it clean enough for Roger was still a challenge.  The good news is that, so far as hard parts go, my $40 core was a premium find.  Everything is servicable.  But the soft parts are shot.  It came out of a Camero and looks like it was run hard.

Tomorrow we start putting it all back together.  Roger assures me it can be done.  I just hope that when I am done there are no parts left over.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

Tomorrow we start putting it all back together.  Roger assures me it can be done.  I just hope that when I am done there are no parts left over.

========== I have parts left over all the time.  I just throw them out.

My work bench stays cleaner that way
Tony

58 Yeoman

Bib, that's called the spare parts theory.  The mfr. put too many parts into the tranny in the first place.  :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil