Great engine builder gone

Started by phat rat, December 10, 2010, 10:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

I got word this afternoon that the fellow who built the 489" for my truck died. I don't have much info so went looking on the net to see if I could find an obit. Didn't find that but did find this.

Ray Baker graduated from Ferris State University and went on to acquire a journeyman's tool and die-making card from General Motors. This education became the background for his lifelong career of building racing engines through his business Baker Engineering for over 27 years.

In his early years, Ray personally built and drove a late model stock car, along with racing off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, and campaigning an NHRA drag car. Ray built the engine for Bob Senneker's Daytona 500 car in 1968 where they finished 13th, and was the first Chevy to cross the line.

During the 1970's and 1980's, Baker was recognized as one of the foremost racing engine producers in the United States. In the late 70's Baker engines won over 1000 races in a three year period, held 24 new track records, and won such memorable races as the World 100 in Eldora, the Baja 1000, dominated speed weeks in Daytona, and won many ASA season championships with several different drivers.

In 1981 Buick selected Baker to design and build the engines for the Indianapolis Pace Car for the prestigious Indy 500.

Baker Engines appeared on the cover of Stock Car Racing Magazine with articles seven times, as well as having articles in Circle Track and Boat Racing Magazine. Ray went on to be featured as a Tech Column writer for Stock Car Racing Magazine. Baker has built engines for such noted racing drivers as: Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt, Neil Bonnett, Bob Senneker, Ed Howe, Junior Hanley, Darrell Waltrip, Geoff Bodine, Jeff Purvis, and many others.

Baker has also built engines for off shore racing boats including the engines for Reggie Fountain's personal boat in 1988.

In 1978 Baker was presented with the "Manufacturer of the Year" award from the American Speed Association, and in 1981, Ray Baker was selected for the Michigan Auto Racing Fan Club's "Personality of the Year" award.

Today, Ray is enjoying retirement and is available for consulting upon request. He can be found in his workshop restoring classic and antique automobiles. He is currently working on a 1951 Ford Woody.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This past spring he was also recognised by Ferris State as Distinguished Alumni. The first time in the schools history that someone from the industrial side of things had so been honored. Ray was only 67

R.I.P. Ray
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

unklian

Godspeed Ray.

He was the first guy I ever heard of,
that washed engine parts in a dish washer.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have heard the name in the industry.  There are many folks that have so much knowledge and skill, yet they  never seek the stardom that some folks have.

It is sad , he died young.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

mopar2dr

That name is well known on all the race tracks in West Michigan and beyond. A Baker engine made the other drivers in that class a bit nervous. A great loss RIP.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

Charlie Chops 1940

I met Ray in 1970 right after I got home from the service. I had 340 hp 4 speed '62 Corvette. The engine was well into its second spin of the odometer and getting very tired. Ray did the block and heads and the balance work. I assembled it and it was one of the best small blocks I ever did.

Thereafter I was always happy to send anyone to him. As Jack posted above Ray went on to great success. When my track roadster was featured in Street Rodder Ray was one of the first guys to send me an e-mail of congratulation.

Ray was a good friend and a fine person. I'll miss him a lot.

Rest in Peace Ray.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

One of my friends ran his engines in his late model. They were expensive and very good. Godspeed to Ray.
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Rays attention to detail was great. When he got through with a motor you know he left no stone unturned. I was very happy when he agreed to do the motor for my truck as he didn't do a lot motors anymore
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.