Diode feed-back

Started by butch27, December 02, 2010, 11:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

I wired my car with an'68 Ford voltage regulator and since I don't use an idiot light on it ; I rand a diode from the "I" on the regulator to the Ign switch-"ACC" with the end that has the silver circle pointing TO the ign switch.  I'm getting feedback and the car won't shut off until I turn off the headlights. Should the diode be facing the other way (TO ) the regulator.??

wayne petty

Quote from: "butch27"I wired my car with an'68 Ford voltage regulator and since I don't use an idiot light on it ; I rand a diode from the "I" on the regulator to the Ign switch-"ACC" with the end that has the silver circle pointing TO the ign switch.  I'm getting feedback and the car won't shut off until I turn off the headlights. Should the diode be facing the other way (TO ) the regulator.??

hmm.. don't know...

fords have 2 different ways of wiring the external voltage regulators..

with an indicator light..

I.    to indicator light..  then to switched ignition...

A.   to direct battery  pos via the starter relay .. with a fusible link

S   stator to the STA on the alternator back.. this has AC wye connection and half the output voltage in AC only when the alternator is charging...

F.  Field to the FLD on the back of the alternator... this is the pulsed regulator control to one brush to create a rotating magnetic field to vary the alternators output...

with an AMP meter..

I... not used...

A... switched ignition power...

S   stator to the STA on the alternator back

F   Field to FLD on the alternator..

both wiring types usually have a ground wire from one of the grounded case studs to the mounting pad of the voltage regulator..   this keeps the ground voltage the same between the engine mounted alternator and the body mounted voltage regulator..

you might move your switched power over to the A .. and see what happens..

this is the way i am remembering how it all works..

i could be horribly wrong...  i probably am..  somebody will possibly correct me if i am...  i hope...

there are external voltage regulators on page 14 of this link...

but .. it requires tapping into one of the windings inside the alternator

http://wagneralt.com/catalog/books/W2008-09.pdf

as you cannot for some reason use the wye connection that is labeled STA...

turning the diode around will probably prevent the feed back into the system...  i hope..

butch27

Wayne: looks like I have#F109-1 reg. Frank helped me set it up BUT I don't know which way the diode should be . Thanks Butch

enjenjo

Turn the diode the other way and see if it works. In any case it won't hurt anything.

"Look for the marking - a colored stripe - on the diode or resistor that indicates which way the current flows. The power flows from the end without the stripe to the end with the stripe."

Read more: How to Read a Diode or Resistor | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_16766_read-diode-resistor.html#ixzz174WXyehl
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.