Steering box for cross steer

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 14, 2010, 12:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Gasser type car.. straight axle, leaf springs, retangle tube chassis, light car about 2600 lbs

Looking at Vega box reproduction  box , many of them on eBay

other suggestions ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

The Mustang, Maverick, Granada steering boxes do cross-steer. They have a longer pittman arm shaft but sometimes that might give you more room. Might also let you have a straighter shot to the spindle on the passenger side with a straight front axle. The steering box in your Falcon should be the same style but the newer boxes use a "Rag Joint" coupling rather than being one piece with the steering column. GPster

BFS57

Hello;
Doesn't one of the steering co's make a manual rack for cross steer??
Mavel?

Bruce

wayne petty

one might want to look for ideas at the autozone.com.

search for part number 7905     its a manual steering box with a long long pitman arm...

the 7505 is the same thing in power steering

az has a neat feature... that you can select a part and the pull down to view all parts...  and open every part in that part section..  

just an idea...  i don't know if they will steer the proper direction.. or what they fit exactly..

edit...
looks like it is probably a 1976 - FORD TRUCK - F 100-350 P/U - V8-460 7.5L - Steering Gear Box

might be too big and heavy....

Crosley.In.AZ

I learned this morning An older friend of mine has a Vega box and  Corvair box

economical is the key word here.  :lol:

I would think since this car will not be a street rod at this time , the Vega box should be strong enough?  Seems like there is some aftermarket support with couplers and pitman arms availiblity

Wayne...Auto  Zone dot come is a useful site.  I am glad you pointed the place out some time back.  many useful pages for most auto tech stuff
Tony

Dusty

Tony...
On my '27 Roadster, I'm using the Vega box, and set up for cross steer, with 3 " dropped tube axle.  No problems in the last 22 years...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Dusty"Tony...
On my '27 Roadster, I'm using the Vega box, and set up for cross steer, with 3 " dropped tube axle.  No problems in the last 22 years...

that is good to read...

I am cyphering again on this old Simca I have.  Gathering info.

I have almost  sold enough stuff on ebay to put together most of a front end.  

I have early Ford spindles and disc brake kit from Super Bell i bought  15 yrs ago  and never used
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I got a hold of this  OEM  Vega Steering box.  Boy is this thing worn out.

The 3 bolt cover does have a needle bearing in it.

The steering shaft to the gear is very loose.

Guess I will look at eBay to see what is availible there
Tony

grazza

Don't know what they called them over there on your side, but over here I have used a Datsun 180B steering box with success.
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

Canuck

The Saginaw 122 or 525 manual steering boxs are a bolt on replacement for a Vega box.  Steering shaft is a little longer and the box is slightly larger, not much.

Readily available, used in GM intermediates starting in 64 and ended up in S-10s in the late 80s.  Rebuild kits available on the internet or seals available from your local parts supplier with a seal number.  Pitman arms and U-joints as available as for the Vega.  Just have to watch the spline count as two different ones were used, depending on year.

Coupled to a intermediate shaft from a Astro van gives you two U-joints and a anti-vibration coupler in a compact assembly.

If you need more interchange info, etc. let me know.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"I got a hold of this  OEM  Vega Steering box.  Boy is this thing worn out.

I was able to get all the bushings, bearings, and seals to rebuild a Vega box at the local bearing house for under $40.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Quote from: "grazza"Don't know what they called them over there on your side, but over here I have used a Datsun 180B steering box with success.

I believe the last of the RWD Datsuns we got here were about 1980. Not too many around then, and none left now. At least in this part of the country.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Crosley"I got a hold of this  OEM  Vega Steering box.  Boy is this thing worn out.

I was able to get all the bushings, bearings, and seals to rebuild a Vega box at the local bearing house for under $40.

i will take a pic of the item I am wondering about the wear.

I read that if the cover has a needle bearing in it, the box has been refurbished once already.  this one has a bearing in the cover.

:?
Tony