Shop Question

Started by taxpyer, November 10, 2010, 05:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxpyer

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to accomodate that smelly, dirty, parts washer in their shop?  :roll:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Digger

I usually make her sleep outside :lol:
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Carnut

I generally just take a shower daily.

kb426

TEAM SMART

taxpyer

You know,, those suggestions are better than what I was after! :wink:

Carnut

Actually I always thought the smell of the parts washer just added to the natural ambiance of the garage, along with the oil, gas, rubber and paint smells.

UGLY OLDS

You're supposed to wash parts  :?:  :?:    In a special machine  :?:  :?:    What a concept  :idea:  :idea:

What's that sprayer gizmo in the kitchen cabinet used for    :?:  :?:  :?

Bob........... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

QuoteWhat's that sprayer gizmo in the kitchen cabinet used for    

Cleaning steering wheels. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Occasionally, we,re good! :lol:
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

i like the other ideas also

properly venting the steam out the roof along with the flue exhaust...... is usually a good idea

one thing...     one might look at the heat as a source of heat for the shop...

a curly exhaust pipe.  with a fan flowing across it...

is your wash down area and area surrounding the jet tank pumped back into a separate tank...  where you can let it sit to separate the oils and pump the settled water back into the wash tank..  or into the dirty wash tank if you have 2 to keep the level up.???

do you have an exhaust fan, belt driven. usually  over the wash tank.. so when the exhaust fan can be cycled on.. to draw hot steam from the open door out of the shop??   probably have to be a stainless flue.  with a stainless fan..  but a wood fireplace flue material is usually available...

it all depends upon the source of the major part of the smells...

one of the engine rebuilding shops had a thermal furnace that would run a few nights a week... baking the grease off the engine parts..   the people in the area could not figure out what the smell was from..   there used to be a funeral house next door.. i am sure they figured it was part of that.. but then the PTA bought it...  found the entire building was full of  asbestos.. and had to rebuild it..  identical to what was there on the outside..  plus the smells a few times a week...

i walked by the HUGE thermal cleaning machine in santa fe springs.. must have been 20 feet high and 40 foot wide..  loaded  and unloaded with  fork lifts.. bake the grease off to export scrap iron ...   i almost fell out.. the machine had burned all the oxygen in the air near it..  i could not breathe.. i realized and ran for fresh air..  feet don't fail me now...   and they did not...   there were complaints about that machine also.. but nobody knew where the odor and lack of breathing oxygen was coming from..

so.. a little more info of your problem might get some more spam from wayne...

taxpyer

I can't remember a topic I've enjoyed more other than of course the one about the fellow who found the rust around his wheel well while watching his wife :wink: ,,,,, oh well,,,,,,, The parts washer I have is one of those good old varsol type ones. :?  Smelly but effective. :roll:  But now you've got me thinking Wayne,,,, maybe a dryer type vent or stove hood over the washer rather than using the power vent for the room which would draw the heat out.................Just might work,,, thanks.. 8)  It's in a new shop and I'm trying to avoid the old "greasy corner" scenareo. :shock:
How about alternative fluids? any suggestions? ........................Thanks guys :lol:

chimp koose

there are some citrous based cleaners out there that might smell better but they are effective cut finders as well. Stings like crazy when they find a cut.

river1

we use a cleaner at work that doesn't smell and is bio safe, it is called miraclean.

http://www.miraclean.cc/MiraCleanPressroom.htm

is the stuff we use. the fellow washing the press on that page is one of my coworkers, a good guy.

we also use http://www.miraclean.cc/MiraClean250.htm for some stuff.

don't know the cost but the paper i work for is VERY CHEAP.

check out the links at the bottom of the above pages for different products

they keep a close watch on the stuff so i can't borrow :roll:  a sample to try it out at home :cry:  but the ink we use is soy oil based so who knows  :?

hope this helps someone

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Leon

I've been using Oil Eater in mine for a couple years, mix it 50/50 with water.  Sharon also uses a little in the wash to do any greasy clothes.  I used to have to special order the stuff, but now I'm able to get it at O'Rielys in a 5 gal bucket.

river1

Quote from: "Leon"I've been using Oil Eater in mine for a couple years, mix it 50/50 with water.  Sharon also uses a little in the wash to do any greasy clothes.  I used to have to special order the stuff, but now I'm able to get it at O'Rielys in a 5 gal bucket.

i get it from the local COSTCO, comes in a gallon container.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.