Welding on a vehicle

Started by phat46, October 25, 2010, 04:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

What are the rules about welding on a computer equipt vehicle? I know you should disconnect the battery, but what else? Unplug the computer? I am going to be welding a piece of square tubing on the back bumper of my brothers step van to hold a vice. We might be able to remove the bumper which is what I like to do, but if it's too hard to get off I might have to do the welding on the truck.

Harry

Put the ground cable as close to the weld as possible.

river1

Quote from: "Harry"Put the ground cable as close to the weld as possible.

2nd that
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat46

Quote from: "Harry"Put the ground cable as close to the weld as possible.

I should be able to ground right next to the weld.

Rrumbler

I always heard that you must disconnect the negative at the battery, as well as connect the ground clamp as close to the work site as possible.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

phat46

Quote from: "Rrumbler"I always heard that you must disconnect the negative at the battery, as well as connect the ground clamp as close to the work site as possible.

That's what we did. I always disconnect the neg. cable, but this is the first time I had welded on a vehicle with a computer in it. It's all done and all is well.

brucer

put ground clamp on and weld....  go watch a guy an an exhaust shop.. they never disconnect the battery..

most modern vehicles have multiple ground straps from the engine to the chassis, and also the body to the chassis..

Danimal

I work in OEM exhaust and we weld on them all the time but ALWAYS disconnect the battery. When you fry a protoype car's wiring, you'll learn the lesson.