Ford 302 in my 48 quit running

Started by art.flame, October 16, 2010, 12:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art.flame

yesterday drove my 48 ford and died on me.
there is fuel but no spark when starting nothing happens but when i turn the key back if want to start but stops again ,
what could it be?
i run a ford 302 and a chevy steering column

thx Art

jaybee

So it has power to the ignition on the "start" circuit but not with key in the "run" position?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

art.flame

in start it won't run either, but when i turn the key back, say half way back, it wants to run ,could it be the ignition?

Art

wayne petty

do you have a circuit tester or test light???

stick it on the positive terminal of the coil....

ground the clamp...

work the key slowly from lock to run and crank...  back and forth a few times... see what happens...

the stationary contacts inside the sliding ignition switches can burn away and the power will not be sent in the expected locations...

art.flame

i can try that, is it the connector located near the dashmount?
it happend while driving tried to restart a few times waited a few minutes and it run again this happend 3 times in a row.

Thx Art

Learpilot

I have had a few of the GM switches go bad. I would start there. That is my two cents worth. These switches are not made very good. I went to NAPA and got my last switch.
Rick

rog

i just had a similar problem with my 308 ( aussie gm motor) turned out to be the distributor module getting hot (electronic ignition). would start, run for 5-10 mins then stop. thanks to the advise of the rodding forum over here, i changed module & coil & rotor button (last two were not necessary, but i like to be as thorough as i can) problem solved  :D
good luck with it.

art.flame

junkyardjeff

enjenjo

Check to see if the ballast resistor is bad, or poorly connected.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

art.flame

thx All, finally found it , the ballastresistor switcht volts from 4,5 to 12 -
put the car on jacks and let it run thru gears ,thats how i found it

i didn't even try to fix it ,switched to hei no problems sofar :D